Author Topic: thoughts on removing carpet and using bedliner in my heep  (Read 8821 times)

miljeep

thoughts on removing carpet and using bedliner in my heep
« on: February 13, 2008, 09:35:37 am »
I am thinking about removing the carpet in the jeep and using bed liner instead.  I am sure someone here has done it before.  I would be doing it when it get warmer since I don't have a garage to work in.  Any thoughts, tips, etc???

Thanks in advance.  MILJEEP

crazy4ink

• Rob "Mongo" Murphy
    • View Profile
    • Mountain Valley Customs
Re: thoughts on removing carpet and using bedliner in my heep
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 10:55:02 am »
I did it in my TJ and I think it's great.  I don't think I have as much noise dampening as I did with the carpet, but I'm not worried about that.  If/when you do your jeep, make sure you stuff tape into any bolt holes you plan on re-using.  Otherwise you'll be chasing holes with a tap.  I covered wires I had running along on the floor with duct tape and then sprayed over the tape.  That way, if I have a wire problem, I can cut the duct tape open, repair the wire and then re-apply bedliner over the tape.  Probably not a needed step but I wanted to make sure.  Surface prep is your biggest concern.  Make sure and take your time, other wise the bedliner won't be very durable/last very long.  I gutted my interior and sat in there with a DA and a roll of sand paper discs.  Take your time, get all the small cracks and stuff and then take your time wiping out the interior prior to spraying.
'04 TJ - Locked, Caged and Rollin' on 42s......for now.....

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 12:40:44 am »
Well, a Rhino Liner will satisfy you for as long as you own that "Heep"....

Rhino Linings of York
Mike Linebaugh
2005 W. Market St., Rear
York, PA. 17404
717-764-9554
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

miljeep

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 06:31:22 pm »
Rhino lining is expensive down here.  I called about doing my bumpers when i got them and they wanted about 600 bucks.  I cannot imagine what the inside of the tub would cost.  I am looking more for a good quality roll on or spray on to do it myself.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 10:44:17 pm »
An entire Jeep tub was around $525 in late 06' I can't believe it's too much higher than that now. Give Mike a call and just ask. If not, no biggie. I understand everyone has a "budget".
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

obijon

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »
   I pulled my carpet years ago when my daughters would always spill their bottles of formula on it. Lets just say that milk in a carpet in a hot jeep in summer is REAL bad  :o  There is stuff you can get to do the floor yourself called Durabak (google it), i bought some from JC Whitney but havent used it yet, so i cant give a review. It comes in different colors, and runs about $100 a gallon. check it out....

miljeep

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 10:31:25 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I bought the Husky Molded Floor Liners from a buddy to put int he jeep after I coat the inside.  I had a buddy use the duraback and it came out really good.  I am going to call around forth rhino liner, but it looks like i may just do it myself when it gets a little warmer. :)