Author Topic: Regearing an xj  (Read 9216 times)

Ken Knaub

• View Profile
Regearing an xj
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:24:49 am »
I have a 98 2 dr 5spd xj with 32s and I was wondering what gears I should run? It currently has 3.07s and it wants to fall flat on it's face in 4high. It's also my dd so I don't want to go to high of a ratio just wondering what would be an "all purpose" gear thanks
When I die bury me in my jeep cause there never been a hole it couldn't get me out of...
98 XJ 2 door 5spd 4.5 inch zone kit 32x11.50 maxxis bighorns black rock wheels

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Regearing an xj
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 10:44:21 am »
Have you read this thread yet?  http://www.pajeeps.org/forum/index.php?topic=2401.0 

Lots of us weighing in on gears and axles...
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:48:37 am »
what ever you choose just remember its expensive, im still deciding between 4.56 or 4.88 but im running 35's.

you could get stock axles from a junk yard for about 100 each with 3.55 or even 4.10 if you look.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 11:45:01 am »
... what would be an "all purpose" gear thanks

Hey Ken,

The true definition of “all purpose” is: Mediocre at everything, but not real good at anything. The ramblings below, assume, you want to also use your Jeep for Off-Roading in addition to Daily Driving. If it’s only an On-Road Jeep, then the URL will be your only interest and you can disregard the rest of the prose.

Here’s one  grimmjeeper.com/gears.html (of many sites) that has calculators for helping you figure out what ratio suits your needs. One advantage you have over me (you should have a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle), your axles shafts are 29 spline. '96 and earlier have 27.

Unfortunately you have to choose which side of the Middle (All Purpose) you want. One side leans towards better than average Off-Roading capability and the other side leans towards better On-Road manners and handling (stock). YOU WON’T be happy in the Middle, because it won’t ride, or act, as good as it did when stock and it won’t do very well on the trails… in the Middle sucks. If you’re gonna do trail riding, one thing you really need to think about is adding a Traction Device to one, or both, of you Axles. One of the biggest costs of regearing is Labor! If you’re going to spend that kind of $$ on an upgrade, and if you are able, then spend it once. I understand that sometimes it’s not possible, but it’s something you should seriously think about before hand. Traction Devices have huge Off-Road advantages with few On-Road disadvantages (depending on Device choice).

If I remember right, you can go up to 3.55 before you HAVE to buy a new Case (Carrier or Differential. Your choice of nomenclature). If you’re going to gear up to 3.73 (which should bring you close to stock gearing performance), or higher, and you have to spend the money on a Case, then add some more to it and get a Traction Device (I recommend a Limited Slip). One question you really have to ask yourself: are you gonna stay at this size tire (of course, WE ALL thought we were too, but…) or does your future plans already include taller lifts and bigger tires? One (although expensive) option is setting up your Rears for the street and your T-Case for the Trails. I’m running 4.10’s with 33’s (an AW4 Transmission), and 4.56 could’ve been better, but…  Now my future plan is getting a 4:1 Transfer Case upgrade. That way my street performance will stay the same, but I’ll have more obstacle speed control on the trails.

Of course, the opinions will be flying and the end decision will be yours. Save yourself some money, and maybe future regrets, and RESEARCH. Read JP Magazine articles (past and present) and see what seems to work on the trails for other people doing the type of Off-Roading YOU want to do. Everybody’s idea of Off-Roading is different.

Hope this helped.

Tatt  8)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:13:28 pm by (Tattoo) Jack »
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 11:59:58 am »
  If you're gonna "modify" your XJ, then this is HIGHLY recommended... it will save you hundreds of $$$

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170542690907&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and this is a good price, I would pay 3X this price! It's that good...

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 08:36:51 pm »
I'm with Jack on buying the book. Great book! I also think Jack should get some percentage of the sales of that book. He's the one who suggested it to me but it def is some good reading.
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...