Author Topic: 95 Grand Cherokee  (Read 7304 times)

joeray

95 Grand Cherokee
« on: April 16, 2008, 08:20:18 am »
i parked on a little hill last night went into work come in the morning and it coasted down hill. i tried to push it couldn't get it to move somebody said there is a recall on the shifter coming out of park . anybody know or have an idea whats wrong with it? it shifts fine.

BigD

• View Profile
Re: 95 Grand Cherokee
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 09:00:33 am »
What transfer case do you have in it?  Did you remove the front drive shaft? 

Problem with 249 and front drive shaft removal will let the vehicle coast downgrades when no front driveshaft in place.

Was emergency brake on since you were parked on a hilll?

All sorts of questions on this one.
Dennis "BigD" Ebersole

joeray

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 11:56:59 am »
thanks i did take the front drive shaft out for repairs thanks again

BigD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 04:18:36 pm »
ok, just so you know, according to several sources on NAGCA, Mallcrawlin, and other forums, it is not good for the 249 transfer case and vicious coupler within the TC to run without the front drive shaft.

BigD
Dennis "BigD" Ebersole

FSJNate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:45:25 pm »
I have herd of this recall.  I was told to get it done to my 96, but I never had any trouble with it.  Not entirely sure what the deal is, but I heard that it won't do it if you make sure the shifter is pressed all the way forward so it engages in park.  I could be wrong on that, but that's what I thought.  I do not believe it has anything to do with T case or drive shaft as I have a 242 case, not the 249.  I think it is in the shifter itself.  You should be able to contact a Jeep dealer to find out more.
'78 2-door N/T Cherokee "S"
'79 Cherokee Golden Eagle Ed
'66 Mustang Coupe
2004 Mustang V6 Daily Driver

-- Nathan Markline