Author Topic: AHHHHHH!!!!!  (Read 11802 times)

Mutant_Xj

• View Profile
AHHHHHH!!!!!
« on: April 19, 2009, 11:47:10 pm »
I love it when I have a few hours to myself and think "Hey I could do this quick with the Jeep" then get proved wrong. The kids were away so I thought I'd put a T-case drop on and my new shocks. I knew the rear shocks were the ones to be worried about but I never have time so I figured why not. I parked in the TSC parking lot and pulled a bolt from my cross member to get a longer one and went to the passengers side rear shock to pull one of them to get a new one. I figured I'd start on that side cause if the bolt is going to snap then it would be the one with the exhaust right by it. I got both bolts out with no problem so I thought Hey might as well pull the other side too and just swap the shocks in the parking lot. The first bolt on the drivers side snapped off right away! I didn't touch the second one. I was pretty mad but expected it. I went in and bought a punch and a hammer along with my new hardware and came back out to try to punch the nut out. I couldn't get it out after 10 minutes and a sore finger, it's tight in there, so I gave up. I figured I might as well throw the one shock on and I'll come back to the other later. When I went to take the bottom nut off the stud it snapped off on the passengers side! I had taken that nut off last year when I put on my lift with no problem I don't understand how one year makes a difference. It's not like its a nut that hasn't been touched since 93. So now I have no passenger side shock and the driver's side is missing one top bolt.
I moved on to the T-case drop. It was a pain in the arse to get the stud out and when I went to get my 15mm wrench it was MIA. Back into TSC and picked up a pack of ratcheting wrenches. After fighting with them I got them out. I started with the Passengers side first and them the drivers side. I don't understand why but the drivers side the crossmember pulled forward and out so I had to get 3 ratchet straps to muscle it back to where I could get the bolts in. That was a PITA. Got the new bolts threaded in and grabbed my new 15mm wrench I just bought and it was too small. Alright bigger head thats cool. I grabbed the pack I just bought and it goes from 15 to 19. WTF happened to 16, 17, and 18? I guess they didn't think it was important enough to include it in their set and I was too stupid to look first. I already used it so I personally can't return it. Got a 17mm socket and finished the TC drop. Got out from under the Jeep and lit up a cigarette and noticed that all the cars are gone. It was almost 5pm and the kids were going to be home soon so I had to take off with two messed up shocks. It isn't noticeable but does worry me. The TC drop made a nice difference. I didn't think I needed it at 3" but I'm hopping to go up to 4.5" when I find more time so I figured I'd put that on first.

Sorry for the ramble. I just cant believe I spent that long on nothing. If you've read this far here's my questions. Where can I buy the studs for the shocks. I've seen them before, the ones that have a threaded section on both sides. One goes into the shock mount and gets bolted in and the other side is the stud.
How can I press the broken stud out? And does anyone have an air hammer they could knock the upper bolt(s) out with? I'd rather try to fish a nut in there then cut up my floors.
Damien Sees

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: AHHHHHH!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:50:11 am »
you can get the shock extenders at most parts stores. a bfh will move the stud. and location, location, location things like that need to be done at home (or a buddys house ,frank  ;D)near all the tools possible because you never know who will brake what (frank  ;D)
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

kmfm313

• Kim
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 10:47:22 am »
Listen to Hillbilly, I didnt know anything bout Jeeps now im pretty good at fixing and modifying. This is Frank ;)
Kim Morder

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 11:03:17 am »
NEVER play parking lot mechanic without the proper tools on hand.

Here endith the lesson...
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Mutant_Xj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:24:46 am »
The thing is my work area at home is a dirt driveway and is muddy right now. I had all the tools, just not the 15mm open end wrench to double nut the studs to get them out. I parked at the TSC because I figured one it's dry, and two if I need anything I can run in quick and pick it up. Most of my wrenching happens in a parking lot in the middle of the night because I don't know anyone with a garage up here that will let me use it at that hour.
Damien Sees

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 01:27:40 pm »

FYI... I just read an article in JP about a guy (with a Wrangler) that installed a T/C drop and he didn't check (or adjust) the linkage and ended up with some problems. Just thought I'd mention it.

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 03:38:50 pm »
i dont have a garage either but its black topped and not far from where we met up that day youre more than welcome to stop by ,every body else does, and pull up some asphalt got just about every tool needed (except a blue tip wrench wife wont approve it waaaay too many uses lol) give me a holler if you want .this extend to all jeepers everyone needs a(n extra) hand once in a while.
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 12:50:05 am »
Mutant_Xj

I just wanted to offer up a valid point. I did read your "LONG" post and understand you had a long day for what should have been simple work.
It happens in my driveway quite a bit, my CJ is not a daily driver. However I tend to procrastinate and it happens the night before a trail ride or a 200 mile one-way trip.

I know the pain...And I'm certain we're NOT alone.

More Advise - Lubricate, lubricate, and lubricate before turning the wrench  :'( Snapped plenty, and did learn the hard way.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Mutant_Xj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 11:28:32 am »
Hillbilly, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that.

Tattoo, I know about the linkage needing adjusted, and thanks for the warning. The TC drop is a Skyjacker and comes with a bracket to lower the linkage, I didn't get to install it yet. I moved the TC lever through 2h,4h,n,4l and back and it felt fine, but come saturday I will be doing that.

Rick, Oddly enough I have been, granted not as well as I should have.. I had the shocks, TC drop, RC drop brackets, coils, and new shackles in the back of my jeep waiting for free time. When I could I'd crawl under and spray everything with PB. It has been raining up here a lot so I couldn't  spray everyday. From what I've read on NAXJA the top bolts are more than likely to snap.

I went to autozone, napa, and a&a and couldn't find what I wanted. I'm gonna hit advanced and the dealer. If they don't have the lower stud I'll get a bolt and find some one to weld it on. The Jeep is actually a bit smother riding on the road but the bigger bumps are a little bouncy.
Damien Sees

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 05:42:50 pm »

BTW... been there and done that. I also twisted off top bolts. I had to drill and tap them and that's a B$tch whether you're in your driveway or not!

I believe I had Mt Zion Offroad, in Dover, shorten my lower shock mounts. They cut them off, used a spring perch that was cut in half, then welded a shock stud to each spring perch and welded them on. This way my shock mounts aren't hanging down like they did. Just a thought.

Tattoo 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 06:32:57 pm »
yeah i want to look into that also tattoo and putting skid plates on my lca's.and ive broken alot of bolts thats why i got so many tools around, never know what might fit where.

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 04:33:22 pm »

I did both and I highly recommend the skid plates for the LCA brackets. You can buy them online, U can also buy the raised rear shock mounts online. If I can find the links I'll post them.

Tattoo 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

Mutant_Xj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 02:03:49 am »
got under the jeep this week for a little bit and tried working on the shock mounts. The bottom stud is welded in and needs to be cut down and drilled through. I cut the stud off and drilled the pilot hole through but now I'm having slow progress trying to drill through with the larger bits. I tried going from a 5/16" bit to the 5/8" but it seems to be too big of a jump and is taking forever to drill through. I went out and bought a 1/2" bit and that doesn't seem to be going any faster. The 5/16" bit was what I started with and actually cut through pretty fast so maybe the stud is hardened and its softer in the middle. I'm actually wishing I didn't cut the stud off. I thought maybe cutting the broken threaded part off of the stud and drilling and tapping a hole in the stud might have been a better solution. Then I could have just run a smaller bolt into the stud with a larger washer to hold the shock on.
I got the third upper bolt out with no problem and tried to drill the broken bolt out but it's broken on an angle and I couldn't get the drill centered right. I picked up an air hammer and hopefully will have time tomorrow to try punching the bolt out. I've read about people cutting the floor out to get to the upper mount nut but I found something on NAXJA that seemed like a good idea. A guy drilled a hole through the floor just big enough for an allen head bolt to fit through and dropped it in from the top. Then all he needed to do was use an allen key on the top and he plugged it up with a rubber plug afterward so he could still get to it easily
Damien Sees

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 09:20:07 am »
its a jeep those extra holes are for water drainage,in or out, i couldnt tell you how many extra holes in non endangering places i have including the aforementioned (big damn word) ones.

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 01:08:53 pm »

Here's a link for TnT customs  http://www.tntcustoms.com/Treks_Content.asp?vId=1 and below is a picture of the raised shock mounts. Also check out their Y Link set-up and other products. Their Belly Pan (with or w/o Y links) is a good item too.

Tattoo 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt