Author Topic: Steering!  (Read 9027 times)

pollux troy

• Jeep NO ROAD! NO PROBLEM
    • View Profile
Steering!
« on: April 12, 2008, 05:28:52 pm »
What is the problem, when im driving about 50mph my steering wheel shakes and it feels like i could lose control of my jeep. I have a 4" suspension lift,could my steering stabilizer be bad. HELP! ???

crazy4ink

• Rob "Mongo" Murphy
    • View Profile
    • Mountain Valley Customs
Re: Steering!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 06:19:14 pm »
What you are experiencing is a result of your inverted y-assembly and trackbar being out of phase with eachother.  A steering stabilizer is a band-aid.  What you need to look at is your trackbar and your draglink.  They need to be parallel with eachother.  If you have a 4" lift, you should have a drop pitman arm. You could also go with a high-steer setup.
'04 TJ - Locked, Caged and Rollin' on 42s......for now.....

joeray

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 08:50:24 pm »
i had the same problem [had drop pitman arm] if had hard top on didn't do it take top off it would  could wight be an issue for your set up   i have 6inch lift and 35" tires

crazy4ink

• Rob "Mongo" Murphy
    • View Profile
    • Mountain Valley Customs
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 09:53:20 pm »
i had the same problem [had drop pitman arm] if had hard top on didn't do it take top off it would could wight be an issue for your set up i have 6inch lift and 35" tires

Still comes back to your trackbar and draglink being in phase with eachother.  The added weight of your hardtop brought your nose up so everything was in phase.  Take you hardtop off and now your nose is down, so things are out of phase.

What components did you install as part of the lift kit?  Do you already have a drop pitman arm?  Did you install an adjustable front trackbar or a drop down bracket with your OEM trackbar?  Knowing that info will help in making helpful suggestions too.
'04 TJ - Locked, Caged and Rollin' on 42s......for now.....

joeray

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 01:14:23 pm »
i used a spring over lift  i did have a drop pitman arm i ended up going to a 360 v8   now it never does it with hard top or not
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 05:09:44 pm by joeray »

lt.dan

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 09:51:32 pm »
 did this start hapening when you lifted the jeep,or did it happen later? worn suspension, and steering components will cause this also.

pollux troy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 06:55:45 pm »
this happened when my tires were rotated,im going to get my tires balanced friday.

pollux troy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 11:03:15 am »
 :)Well I took the Jeep to the Garage, They balanced the tires and put a new stabilizer on, and that fixed the problem, they said my tires were way out of balance!!!! ???So i told them they might as well put a new stabilizer on while they are at it ;)
Im glad that was the only problem ;D