Author Topic: Overheating Issue  (Read 6908 times)

j.haffly

• View Profile
Overheating Issue
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:51:47 pm »
Friday, after driving in some Arlington traffic, I saw the temp gauge creeping up....then all of a sudden, she starting running pretty bad...I was able to find a spot to park and shut her down....of course I'm leaking anti-freeze big time....I pop the hood and it looks like it's coming out near the upper heater hose and/or the upper radiator hose....not sure which one....well, for the first time in my life I dont have spare water and spare anti-freeze....so I get it towed home...no biggie, AllState came through, no charge....

Today I crank it up, go to put some water in her, wont take much....I let it run till she heats up a bit...put a little more in....hits operation temp....nothing, no overheat, nothing, no leak...ran her for like 30 mins....

Tomorrow I'm taking the upper heater hose off to inspect....upper radiator hose never really got any pressure on it during the whole time....

Thoughts?

Jim
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
Re: Overheating Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:01:00 pm »
Start by getting a new rad cap (Stant Lever-locks are great) and a new T-stat (get what temp came standard w/ your Jeep). Then take the radiator out and preasure wash it to get off all the mud and bugs. inspect it flush out the insides with a garden hose (hot water if you can) same with the block overflow bottle and heater core. Replace the hoses if they need it. put every thing back together and "burp" the system with a new 50/50 mix of the green stuff. The "burping" part has to be done correctly, I can go into detail if you need. The purchase of the cap and T-stat will not be a waste they are cheap and should be replaced every few years any how.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:33:12 am »
Will do!!!!  Thanks for the advice....both the radiator and t-stat are relatively new, 4 years or so, 6 tops....the hoses, just cant remember the last time, if ever, I replaced them...I do remember the metal tube that connects to the water pump was replaced as I had to special order it from the dealer....short little thing that goes from the water pump to what is the lower heater hose....but the other hoses, just cant remember to be 100%....would be a good time to replace all of them.....

Jim

Start by getting a new rad cap (Stant Lever-locks are great) and a new T-stat (get what temp came standard w/ your Jeep). Then take the radiator out and preasure wash it to get off all the mud and bugs. inspect it flush out the insides with a garden hose (hot water if you can) same with the block overflow bottle and heater core. Replace the hoses if they need it. put every thing back together and "burp" the system with a new 50/50 mix of the green stuff. The "burping" part has to be done correctly, I can go into detail if you need. The purchase of the cap and T-stat will not be a waste they are cheap and should be replaced every few years any how.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Ted

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 05:27:05 pm »
Ok....tried to get the rig to overheat today as it did a few weeks back in Arlington, this being after the GW run a few weeks before that....so, drove it down Route 1, to Lorton Road, to Lorton Station Blvd, up Pohick back to Route 1 and did that twice today....hit 210, right in the middle and didnt overheat....so, the plans are still to put in an electric fan, replace the t-stat with a 190degree one....thinking about flushing the cooling system....but the liquid looks really fresh to be honest....will pressure test it....

Second issue....once the rig basically got to operation temp, started to run really sluggish, loss of power, sputtering till I would hit about 3,000rpms....then it was fine....as of right now plans are to change the spark plugs and do an oil change just for the heck of it....

Anyone got anything for me?

Thanks,
Jim

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 08:44:43 pm »
getting any rotten egg smell, maybe a cat clogging up?
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 07:44:18 am »
Found a pinhole leak in the upper hose, replaced that but still had the sputtering issue....so I replaced the spark plug wires and it took care of the issue!!!

Still need to put in a electrial fan and flush the system.