Author Topic: 93 Xj Stalls  (Read 15364 times)

Mutant_Xj

• View Profile
93 Xj Stalls
« on: December 10, 2009, 12:23:02 pm »
It just stopped running two nights ago on my way home from work. It was running fine for the most part. Every once in a while while driving the RPMs would drop down to nothing and then kick back in. The tranny would also unlock and lock back up. ??? It seemed to get more frequent and now it wont run more then a few feet without stalling. While looking for loose plugs or bad wires I found my wires to my O2 sensor were pulled tight up against the exhaust manifold and melted through. I seperated the wires and checked them out. The casing was melted off but the wires were still there. It still wanted to stall out after I seperated the wires to make sure they didn't short. I've read as much as I could on NAXJA about stalling Xj's and came up with bad CPS, bad MAP sensor, bad ECU, bad grounds in the battery, bad battery, bad alt., bad fuel pump relay, bad fuel pump, bad wires going to the fuel pump. And a few more. I checked my battery connections and they were good. I bought a new CPS, and a new MAP sensor, I'm waiting on a nicer day to install the two sensors.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to check?  I'm lost with this. And the worst thing is I have no place to work on it besides out on the street. So I'm at the mercy of mother nature.
Damien Sees

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: 93 Xj Stalls
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:55:16 pm »

Get a scanner and then google the Codes. I know that Advance Auto will scan it for free, but you have to get it there, maybe you can get one loaned to ya from them, like they do with tools. Sorry, but that's the best I can do.

Tattoo ???

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 05:28:40 pm »
Really hard to diagnose things via internet, but first thing first. You need a O2 sensor this may or may not correct your problem but if the wires that got melted are on the sensor side it's ruined. The oxygen the sensor uses as a reference comes through the wire. I would have to assume that the CEL came on. It needs to be checked for codes. Throwing parts at it gets expensive quick . There are times when it cheaper to have it diagnosed and repair professionally.
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:02:25 pm »
The O2 sensor wires melting on the header usually blows a maxi fuse and the engine is dead until you replace it. I had that happen to me after installing the header and the wires were slightly misplaced.

As far as the code reading at Advance, I doubt they will have anything to hook up to pre OBDII that you can use. You have to do the On-Off-On-Off-On thing within five seconds to get the code I believe. Probably some info in the owners manual or google on what the codes mean and such. But if you've already started ripping and tearing you've probably cleared the codes already.
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:13:30 pm »
To check the codes, turn your key to the on position, then off position, do not start it or crack it, just turn it on and off 3 times, wait a second, and your check engine light will start to blink. If it blinks 1 quick blink, then the first number is a 1, then it will pause for a sec or 2, then start blinking again, if it blinks 3 quick blinks then the second number is a 3, so your code will be 13. After the first code it will pause for a few seconds longer and start to blink again. You will know the codes are done, when you get code  number 55, that means its done.
......Keep on Trucking......
-----------------------------------------
1993 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, Auto, 2" Shackle Lift, 31x10.50R15
Edward Taucher

Mutant_Xj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 01:48:39 am »
What's the maxi fuse and where's it located? The O2 sensor wires were still intact just the casing was melted off. I'm going to rewire it as soon as I can. And thank you 4x4_cherokee for the info. I'll try that tomorrow when I get up.
Damien Sees

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 11:44:15 am »
maxi fuse is those monster fuses under the hood in the fuse box.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Mutant_Xj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 12:53:37 pm »
Oh yeah duh. I'll check them whenever this wind dies down. I don't know what its like down in the York area, but up here in Sunbury you freeze your you know whats off in a few minutes of being outside.
Damien Sees

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 05:34:40 pm »
live in lewisberry and its ditto here. poor dog will be stuck on the porch for a couple more days i guess (lol) :(
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 06:07:44 pm »
  I doubt they will have anything to hook up to pre OBDII that you can use.

Sorry, I forgot I have one of those newer, fancy XJ's  ::)

Don't Shop - Adopt

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 06:55:08 pm »
I found that out the hard way, I took mine to Auto Zone, and told them I had a check engine light, they asked what year it was, and i told them 94. And they said only 96+, thats when they told me about the key trick, O I forgot to say, that on the third turn, leave the key on the on position.
......Keep on Trucking......
1993 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, Auto, 2" Shackle Lift, 31x10.50R15
Edward Taucher

Cherokee 4.0

• 99 Xj Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 11:36:07 pm »
you can rent scanners at autozone...

and my 98 wont do the key trick.

i can hold the odometer reset in and do it and it just cycles the guages
99 Xj
10 Inch Long Arm
35x13.50s, cragar wheels, roof rack 373 gears, welded rear
Dylan

Mutant_Xj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 01:40:47 am »
Alright, I got the Jeep back 3 days ago and it's running great. It was the crank sensor. I took it to the shop because of the weather and lack of free time but, the guy hooked it up to the computer, found out what was wrong with it, put the crank sensor in I bought, test drove it for a little while to make sure it was actually my problem, inspected it, AND cleaned my windows. He only charged me $53 bucks. I was expecting to get rapped on it because everyone around here wants to charge you x amount for hooking it up to the computer, at least an hours worth of labor, and who knows what for the inspection. So I'm happy.

I would have posted up sooner but I didn't want to say I got it fixed before I was 100% sure it was.
Damien Sees

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 04:30:10 am »

Well... It sounds like that guy treated you good,  give that shop a plug (who was it). Maybe others would like to take their Jeeps there. Glad you got it fixed.

Tattoo

Don't Shop - Adopt

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 12:42:01 pm »
"Throwing parts at it gets expensive quick . There are times when it cheaper to have it diagnosed and repair professionally"

Glad it's fixed and you found someone to treat you right.   
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting