Author Topic: bumpers  (Read 6178 times)

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
bumpers
« on: February 21, 2009, 07:16:39 pm »
can any of you cj/yj/tj owners tell me the frame width of the rear of the jeep, have found several bumpers for these jeeps really cheap and was trying to figure out if i can get them to fit my xj. maybe a little bracket work is needed. any info will help dont have access to this info.  guess i could crawl under one in walmart or something....
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: bumpers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 07:47:10 am »
Adam,
This link might help you out:
http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/frame-tech.htm

These are I believe CJ5, 7, and Scrambler dimensions.....I didn't go out and measure mine bacause mine is a "Narrow Track".
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

millersyj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 01:27:15 pm »
My 95 YJ frame to frame is 43" but mine has a solid steel plate the whole way across the back wich is 50".

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 03:33:05 pm »
I put a stock front TJ bumper onto the rear of my XJ over the summer. All I did was modify the stock XJ brackets so where it bolts to the bumper fits into the TJ bumper. Then drilled 4 new holes in the tj bumper once it was centered. I believe where I drilled the holes was right where a half of a previous hole was at but i just drilled and hoped for the best. But my bumper only holds on by 4 bolts now comapred to the stock XJ 6 but I'm not intending on pulling people out with it. I have tow hooks for that. With the previous two XJ bumpers I am 2 for 2 on destroying them anyway so it is just a temporary bumper til I get the $400 for a good one.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of my modified brackets but here are two with the bumper on.

Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 05:26:20 pm »
then by rights the rear bumper off of the cj/tj/yj is wider than the front should fit well on the rear   right???
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7