Author Topic: XJ Hood pins  (Read 7091 times)

pgarrett

XJ Hood pins
« on: December 03, 2007, 07:53:39 pm »
Well it finally happened.  Looks like the latch release cable broke on my XJ tonight as I tried to pop the hood.  Instead of going through the hassle of replacing the cable and then risk this happening again, I was thinking of just installing a set of hood pins.

Has anyone done this on an XJ (2000) before?  And more importantly, will it pass inspection in PA?

Thanks...

-Phil

Teal J

• View Profile
Re: XJ Hood pins
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 09:20:44 pm »
I recently acquired an 88 Comanche that has hood pins.  It passed PA inspection like that for the previous owner.  I'm taking it to get inspected next week but my guy tends to overlook all kinds of infractions, so I don't think hood pins will stop him from slapping a sticker on it.   

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 01:41:56 pm »
Can't see why it wouldn't pass - I've had a couple muscle cars with hood pins that passed - of course that was thirty or so years ago ..... 
I would recommend that you tether the pins and perhaps use a small lock on one of 'em (or rig up some sort of lock behind the grill) - if you don't tether the pins you'll lose 'em - and if you don't lock the hood some scumbag will liberate your battery and other parts -

pgarrett

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 12:40:33 pm »
Just an update on this.  I was not able to find a shop who would install just the hood pins.  I checked with 4 shops in the area and they all told me that in order to pass PA inspection, the factory hood release had to be in working order.

In my case the latch was easy enough to repair (once they got the hood open).  The latch mechanism had pulled away from the hood and just needed to be riveted back into place.

obijon

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 05:03:41 pm »
hey pgarrett - han shot first, but greedo had it coming.... ;D

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 06:30:39 pm »
But...........
To Flounder:
"Fat Drunk and Stupid is NO way to go through Life".
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...