Author Topic: Any Ideas On Where To Mount An Inverter?  (Read 12008 times)

j.haffly

• View Profile
Any Ideas On Where To Mount An Inverter?
« on: August 17, 2011, 03:53:33 pm »
I have an 800 watt inverter I'm thinking about mounting in the Jeep....only thing is...WHERE...I want to be able to get to it farily easy like but I dont want it to get damaged by something hitting it....

Any thoughts?
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Any Ideas On Where To Mount An Inverter?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:27:19 pm »
what jeep, the xj's have an opening in the back on the passenger side.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:52 am »
That's one hell of a mod there, at least on the inverter itself....BUT it gives an idea on where to mount it....center console area is perfect....I can run the cables down the middle of the floor board up to the battery and hook from there....might put in an inline fuse but the unit has one itself....mount the inverter in the console itself....this might work....

Hillbilly....it's a TJ

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:43:10 am »
too many people , too many different jeeps, and who can own just one.  ;D
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 12:13:22 pm »
I hear that brother!!!

I think after we kill the Rover, we will get a Grand.....

too many people , too many different jeeps, and who can own just one.  ;D

N3IW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 02:03:03 pm »
Here's a link for you Jim...

http://roamingdrone.wordpress.com/2009/03/01/add-ac-power-outlets-to-your-jeep-wrangler-console/

That installation is a little scary.  Remember, you're dealing with 110 Vac, not 12V.  The outputs need to be wired like a house, not a vehicle.  I'm not sure that Molex plugs are rated for that voltage.  Also, keep the inverter in a spot where there is good airflow.  The heatsink fins are a clue to the fact that inverters are not 100% efficient and any DC energy not converted to AC is converted to heat.

It's an interesting installation, but just be careful with the outputs.  I'd recommend some of the flexible conduit to run the AC wires to prevent chafing as it's easier to have an arc-over at the higher voltages, particularly around sharp metal edges and screws.  Likewise protect the connections against moisture and dirt/dust all of which can create an arc path.

Good luck.  Let us know how it turns out.  Might be something really useful to add to my TJ.
Chip Morgan

2000 Wrangler TJ Sport - minor lift + 1.25" BL on 33s; many, many skid plates with more to come

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 08:48:10 am »
I dont plan on modifying the inverter itself to be honest....my concern, which you noted, is the heat....I'm thinking I might just carry it and use it when I need it when I'm stopped....just not sure how much I would need to use 110volts while I'm going down the road....

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 09:18:28 am »
Chip....

I think I found the perfect spot to be honest....

I removed my passanger seat during my issues with the replacement of the front seat, which by the way, is done now....with only having to JB Weld some spots on the seat adapter....with the plan now of replacing that area with some additional storage....the inverter will be mounted to the outside of the center console with the leads running along the center of the tub up to the battery....I'm thinking of some type of water proof sheathing that will be applied using velcro strips above and below the interverter to protect it when not in use....

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 07:45:47 pm »
LOL....SO, I was told in no uncertain terms that I need to put the passenger seat back in so that I can pickup Ray from time to time from daycare....and yes, the passenger side airbag is disconnected....

So, instead of mounting the inverter on the side of the center console, it's going to go on the outside of the console on the back side....gotta make sure the cables will reach first of course!!!!

N3IW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 09:49:12 pm »
Ah,  you were overridden by the one with absolute veto power.  ;D  It'll get lots of cooling there on the back of the console anyway. 

I think there's a few grommets in the firewall near the battery and computer to run the leads through.  At least that's where I was going to try to run my ham/CB radio power leads out whenever I finally finish that project.  ;)  When I poke wires through an empty grommet or next the wires running through one, I use RTV to seal it back up again.
Chip Morgan

2000 Wrangler TJ Sport - minor lift + 1.25" BL on 33s; many, many skid plates with more to come