Author Topic: Not Starting....  (Read 7012 times)

j.haffly

• View Profile
Not Starting....
« on: June 09, 2013, 10:23:40 am »
Ok, my 97 TJ SE sat for a week while I was out of town....I went to start it after about 6 days of sitting, damn thing will not start....cranks with no issue but it just wont start...had this happen before but it finally started, granted ran rough for a while with a  nice backfire....but it started....any advice?

Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Not Starting....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:18:03 am »
got gas in it? ;D    seriously any idea if you have spark, when you turn the key on do you hear the hum from the fuel pump, do you have any fuel pressure (theres a little valve stem looking thing on the fuel rail push down on it like you let air out of a tire if it shoots fuel your probably ok), does it sputter at all or just keep cranking.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 11:29:44 am »
she'll sputter and wants to start....after a few times she gets flooded and then just cranks....actually started right up yesterday....ran fine, or so I thought....let it run for a few and had a check engine light on so I went to clear that....then wouldnt start, sputters just like before etc etc etc

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:44:41 pm »
Ok....changed the rotor and cap....they needed changed....and popped the gas cap in case of vapor lock....still nothing...

Is it possible for an injection system to lose pressure over time if there is an issue?  Also thinking of using some starter fluid to get it started and my thinking is that once it's going it will start to 'suck' the gas like it should....

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 08:48:03 am »
This morning, she started right up....didnt have to crank or anything....a few sputters then I took her around the block a few times, got the RPM's up to 4500 or so a few times but no issues....

I'm still leaning towards the fuel pump going bad....not keeping pressure over time when not driven....all I know is it wont sit for more than a day ever again....or get the fuel pump tested....

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:11:10 am »
fuel pump or fuel filter, also with sitting for a couple of days the ethanol (water) settles and clogs things so maybe a bottle of cleaner too.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 12:01:35 pm »
Funny, kinda....someone else said something about water....makes sense....