Author Topic: New guy here from CePA  (Read 7135 times)

soncjet

• I'm between Hershey Chocolate & Lebanon Bologna
    • View Profile
New guy here from CePA
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:33:58 pm »
Hey all.  just getting back into things in the Jeep world.  I picked up a cheap ZJ a few months back to use mainly as a daily commuter.... 

nothing spectacular by any means... 97 with a 4.0 and selectrac.  it's been pretty much reliable with nearly 200k on the clock.  some cosmetics like door hinges, and needing all the lights replaces are the big things, i've just never had enough motivation to do much to it other than get in and drive it.

lately though, i've had the urge to try and clean up the rough edges a bit, and make it a bit more presentable.

several years back, my wife had another 97 zj as well.  we ended up selling it before we did too much to it.  the VC was starting to go south in it, and rather than dump alot of money into it, she just wanted something bigger and different.  oh well.  live and learn i guess.

somewhere inbetween the jeeps... i got into VW's (still am) and had a dozen or so, 3 of which we still have.  my wife dailies a modified passat wagon, i have a project aircooled beetle i've been tinkering with for the last 20+ years, and my summer toy, an 85 jetta with a few things done to it.

so bear with me as i get back into this whole "Jeep thing" again.  ;D

Brian
97 ZJ Laredo - daily driver & project.

A driveway full of VW's and one lone ZJ

Brian Shertzer

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: New guy here from CePA
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 03:48:10 am »

Welcome aboard.

Replacing lights... Do ya mean the head lights cause the lenses are hazed/discolored? There are kits to solve that.

Jack
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

soncjet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 07:15:37 am »
Thanks!

as far as the lights.... i could live with the fogging.  its the fishbowl on the drivers side (holds about 1/2" of water when it rains).  the wood shims to somewhat keep the lights in place, the fact that the drivers side headlight can move around about an inch.  the whole passengers side light setup is held together with wood shims and some sort of silicone/goop/caulking.

apparently the p.o. hit something to mess up both lights, and the pass. side fender.  i just havent gotten around to wanting to do much with them yet, but will soon.

Brian Shertzer

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 10:08:40 am »
welcome to the forum, and all Jeeps have to start somewhere. it might help to put youre name and location up, you might have afellow jeeper living close enough to give you a hand or cheap parts.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 12:55:39 pm »
Hi, how's it going?  Some of us have built Jeeps, others don't.  If you'd like to check us out, we're having a meeting in York on Sunday the 8th at noon.  The next one is on Sunday, Feb. 12.  Always nice to meet fellow Jeepers!
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

soncjet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:34:25 pm »
updated some info... thanks.

yea.  i dont want / need some super flexy rock beast... just clean it up a bit, maybe do a bb at one point with some meatier tires - nothing crazy.  i've already talked to someone about getting some parts to get this one a little better off.   i looked for a while before i bought it, and either i was looking at super low mileage garage kept queens that people wanted crazy money for....  or just complete haggard buckets.

i met a guy and test drove an xj over the summer before buying this zj.  i honestly wasnt sure if i was going to make it back from the test drive.   ive driven big trucks before - heck, i daily'd an f150 on 35's for years.... but man.  that thing SCARED me.  ha ha ha  :D

i'll see about the york thing...  might be down that way anyhow.

i've done quite a bit with the VW crowd, still do actually - just looking to expand things a bit.  the "scene" gets a bit stale after a while.  however, i'm still lingering around like a raunchy fart.  I did however start up something that has been going on for 6 years now, which it seems like you guys are into as well - a Toys for Tots drive.  over the last 6 years, i've grown it from 70 cars to around 400 cars per year - and donated over $10k and 10k toys.  all in all - not bad for a bunch of car guys.  ;)

Brian Shertzer