Author Topic: CB Help  (Read 10067 times)

BennyLT

• View Profile
CB Help
« on: December 21, 2007, 10:16:51 am »
My great Aunt gave me a few boxes of stuff that belonged to my great uncle.  He passed away about 15 years ago so its all been sitting for a long time.  In it was a CB.  its set up on a stand with a cigarette lighter plug, and the antenna has a magnet plate.  so it can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. 

I tried it out and it turns on, and the dials work.  the speaker works because i was able to get fuzz.  but i couldn't get any talking.  I took it on a trip down the PA turn pike and didn't even get any chatter there on any Chanel, so I'm not sure whats wrong.  I tried all the switches  i believe they say Mono, CB, and Out  i think i was only able to get fuzz on CB mode.  and only when i turned the squelch knob up.  the microphone makes it click when i press the button.  i don't know if its broadcasting my voice though.  nothing comes back through the speaker. 

i opened it up to see if anything was obviously burned, and nothing was. 

any help or suggestions?   maybe the antenna isn't working?   i really know nothing about these devices. 

Thanks! 

- Benny
89 YJ - work in process
4.2L - bored 60 over - tow cam
Jasper auto trans
Still needs some things to be done before she is ready for the road/trail.

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Re: CB Help
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 02:53:16 pm »
check and clean the terminals, if you can disassemble it you might spray contact cleaner (you can get it at radio shack or other electronics supply shops - it's formulated so it doesn't screw anything up) on/near where the dials and such make contact - it could just be dirt - check the power and ground wires for any breaks, check the speaker wires and such for any breaks -

you might also google the model number of the CB - sometimes you can find good information (like wiring diagrams or other people with the same type of device who can help fix things) on the web which can help in fault finding on older devices (I recently found one, on line, for a 1971 Ampeg AC-12 guitar amp that I'm trying to diagnose and fix, as an example).

If all else fails, take it to a CB shop and let them take a whack at it (I'd suggest getting an estimate before giving the go-ahead - $$ is why I'm trying to fix the AC-12 ....)

BennyLT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:02:45 am »
Thanks Steve.   I'll give it a try. 

I know the power and the speaker are both working because it turns on, and i can get fuzz through the speaker.  it just never pick up any chatter.  ????   Good idea about googleing it.  i'll do that first. 

Thanks!
89 YJ - work in process
Jasper auto trans

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 08:33:39 pm »
   Benny,  Is this a 40 ch or 23? Everyone runs ch 34 while driving up to R/C and trail riding. Does it have a PA switch? If so, plug in an external speaker, 2.5mm plug I think and see if you get any voice transmission. Some models of CB's won't work if the Mike isn't plugged in (wire broken) or inoperable. Is it a "power" Mike? Does it have a door on the back for a battery? Power Mikes usually have a red light on the front that lights up when TXing.

Now the BAD news :(, if the antenna/connection is bad, grounded out or gound wire broken, you, or someone else, could have burned up the Final. A long time ago when I first got into CB's (and thought about getting into Amateur Radio) many people made the mistake of turning on the set and Keying it up w/o an antenna hooked up and Kill It. I have an SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) Meter and we can check it at a Meeting. It measures the % of power Reflected "back" into the radio from the antenna.

Bottom line: CB's are soooo cheap now a days it's better just to get one then to fix an old one. This is one item that DOESN'T get better with age. I have a couple of CB's/antenna's that I'll be listing for sale (sometime). Good luck.

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

BennyLT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 08:05:54 am »
   Benny,  Is this a 40 ch or 23? Everyone runs ch 34 while driving up to R/C and trail riding. Does it have a PA switch? If so, plug in an external speaker, 2.5mm plug I think and see if you get any voice transmission. Some models of CB's won't work if the Mike isn't plugged in (wire broken) or inoperable. Is it a "power" Mike? Does it have a door on the back for a battery? Power Mikes usually have a red light on the front that lights up when TXing.

Now the BAD news :(, if the antenna/connection is bad, grounded out or gound wire broken, you, or someone else, could have burned up the Final. A long time ago when I first got into CB's (and thought about getting into Amateur Radio) many people made the mistake of turning on the set and Keying it up w/o an antenna hooked up and Kill It. I have an SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) Meter and we can check it at a Meeting. It measures the % of power Reflected "back" into the radio from the antenna.

Bottom line: CB's are soooo cheap now a days it's better just to get one then to fix an old one. This is one item that DOESN'T get better with age. I have a couple of CB's/antenna's that I'll be listing for sale (sometime). Good luck.

Tattoo 8)

Tattoo,  Thanks for the advice.  I have pretty much given up trying to get it working.   i'll just get a new one, actually i'll probably get a portable anyway so i can have it on me for hiking and hunting.  Do you want this old one since you into playing with them.   its yours free of charge if you cover shipping.  or  I live in Spruce Creek, and work in state College.  if you are ever up this way. 
89 YJ - work in process
Jasper auto trans

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 01:53:05 pm »
BennyLT: I just got a COBRA Hand Held "Road Trip" CB from www.KnowWhere2Jeep.com last Friday. I took it along on the Rausch Creek trip and was very happy with the performance! It comes with a magnetic exterior antenna and a small removeable one for when you take it out of the Jeep. It also has a power plug for your Jeep so you don't kill the batteries. I was able to communicate with the other Jeeps in the caravan up the Interstate, and was able to communicate with them on the trail. I got the Road Trip model for just a little over 100 bucks. Pretty good deal, and I can move it to any Jeep or car that I want. It locks in the glove box real nice too!
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 03:17:56 pm »
Do you want this old one since you into playing with them.   

Thanks for the offer, but I don't "play" with them anymore, just use them.

Yea, the unit that Mike had did a good job. I've also seen them on eBay for $92 and change, total.

Good luck, Tattoo 8)
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

BennyLT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 03:44:06 pm »
I looked at the "road trip" on the site.  that is actually going to be a bit too big and heavy for when im on long hikes.  Does anyone use the small hand held 2-ways instead of a CB  like the Motorolla Talkabot for example?  most of them have long ranges (claimed in advertising) but i think they generally only come with 22 chanels.
89 YJ - work in process
Jasper auto trans

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 03:51:50 pm »
Yes, I have a pair and they work fine. Grant also has a few of them and we've used them without fail. They communicate within the "trail group" great, just don't think you're going to reach another group that's out-n-about. They are limited in their distance, but work well for a trail ride.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

mudnut

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 03:28:05 pm »
Tattoo is right Benny it's cheaper to pick up a new rig than to pay for someone to fix an older one, especially if it's been sitting for 15 years or so. Not saying that yours is a lost cause, if you can find someone to take a look at it for free then go ahead. Not sure where you are located, I'd offer to check it out but I'm in the middle of nowhere (Potter County) so distance might work against you there. Take a quick look at the front, if you have a switch that's labeled LOC and DX make sure it's on DX and if you have an AGC try adjusting it until you have a lot of static, you can turn the squelch up just a little to kill the static, but too much and you will kill your sensitivity and won't hear anybody. Channel 19 is the fave of truckers and depending on where you are you can almost always hear someone talking there, if only one side of the conversation.

If you decide to play with it more make sure that you hook up with someone with an SWR meter, you have to make sure you present a balanced load to the rig or you will burn out the final amp, then you end up a 12 volt paperweight. If you have an armature radio operators (or HAM) in your area most of them are happy to help out in setting up an antenna if you ask them. They might even try to get you interested in becoming a ham, it's a lot of fun, but not for everybody.

Even if you end up picking up a new mobile rig make sure you have some tune the antenna for you, they are not tuned at the factory because where you put it and what is near it will make a difference.

The family handhelds are ok but you won't have near the range of an 11 meter rig (CB or Chicken Band). Plus you don't want your hand held floating around your rig (or in the mud) when you're on the trail. If you hike with a partner though the family handhelds are great as long as you don't exceed the range.