Author Topic: T-Stat Question  (Read 6887 times)

j.haffly

• View Profile
T-Stat Question
« on: April 17, 2013, 07:43:23 am »
Thinking about putting in a 160 degree t-stat....however, I've been told that the engine will run rich and eventually the engine will be shot due to that....

I wanted to ask the experts from PA Jeeps, my Jeep family, before I do it or buy a 185 degree one.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: T-Stat Question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:23:13 am »
a thermostat only controls when the coolant in the engine is hot enough to flow into the radiator to start cycling. it may make a difference in the winter on the really cold days to when you get heat inside and the engine may take a little longer to warm up. ive driven a couple different breeds of vehicles with no thermostat at all. but thats me.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:57:48 am »
Ok...that's what I thought....thanks....not worried about the winter to be honest....I thought the info I was given was a little suspect....
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 04:53:59 pm »
   WELL... it depends on what injection system/year you have, or more precisely, if it's Computer Controlled. On the '96 there is a water temp sensor so when the water isn't up to Temp it will run rich because the ECM "thinks" (based on the info it gets) it hasn't warmed up yet so it will increase the fuel mixture to compensate for the lack of heat, like the Choke used to do on the Horse and Buggy, er... I mean, older vehicles I grew up driving. 165° is pretty low, I run a Jet Performance Stage 2 "Chip" that requires a 180° Thermostate to bump up the amount of fuel to go along with other changed paramaters to give it more power, faster acceleration, etc.

SOMETIMES you can get away with not having a Thermostate installed, BUT it's not advisable. Many vehicles will run HOT because the water is moving through the Water Jackets too fast to pickup (absorb) enough heat to removed it. Thermostats don't cool the engine, they regulate the coolant "Flow", based on Temperature, to try and keep the engine running at a constant temp.

Will this ruin ur engine? Well, if it runs too rich, some unburnt fuel could get into the Crank Case, dilute ur oil and, over time, cause premature Bearing failure. So I guess the answer is Yes, it's possible.

Just my 2Ȼ worth... so I'll respectfully wait for any rebuttals or opposing views.

Tatt  :-\

There are Mechanics on this Forum (Dave), so I'm sure we'll see how close I was.

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 10:31:36 pm »
yup just giving my 2, of course the newest thing i drive is a 94. and the old farnm trucks before that. lol
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

HANGMAN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 11:43:59 pm »
With today's quality in some parts, I would suggest you cook the NEW thermostat in a pot of water with a good thermometer and watch when the thermostat opens at what temperature.
That temperature should be the set opening temperature of the thermostat, if it is not close, get another one, some thermostats I have used (over the years) never even opened at 212 degrees (boiling).
OH, make sure the thermostat closes when you chill the pot of water, otherwise you have a thermostat that will not close (like not having one), resulting in a HOT running motor, as mentioned by Tatt.
74 jeep CJ5  ( PACKMULE )
BOB BEHLER
OVER, THROUGH OR UNDER