Author Topic: Help with a CB install  (Read 7835 times)

Smac

• Blackberry PIN 316CB0C3
    • View Profile
Help with a CB install
« on: October 27, 2010, 12:25:45 pm »
Wasnt sure if I would even use it much so I bought a used one on Ebay. ...... So now what? I am thinking a 4ft antenna on the tire carrier and havent decided where to mount the head unit.
Any suggestions would be great
Shaun Mcintyre

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man

07 JKU Sahara

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a CB install
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 03:18:41 pm »
if you like mud , water , i suggest somewhere high out of the floodzone. ive killed 2 that way already. and you never know when deep water will strike.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Smac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 04:31:21 pm »
Ooooh I do like mud. Great thought, I will run the cable high as well
Shaun Mcintyre

07 JKU Sahara

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:46:33 pm »
I run with a flexiable 4 ft fiberglass one. It takes a beating on the tree limbs. If you get a solid one you can put a spring mount on it. Don't forget to set the SWR so you don't fry your radio.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Smac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 08:32:34 pm »
Well I have never done that before. I do understand the concept though. I did buy a spring mount
Shaun Mcintyre

07 JKU Sahara

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 08:26:35 am »

"Sticking" a CB radio in your vehicle is a no brainer, BUT installing a communication device correctly is a Brainer! There are "rules" that need to be adhered to that'll insure your CB will operate at its best, and last a long time. One aspect of a CB radio "system" can be likened to stereo "systems", whereas very high quality speakers, and cables, will make a low end tuner sound much better then vice versa, hence a high quality Antenna/Coax combo, placed in an optimal location, will greatly enhance the performance of  a mediocre radio. Check your area for a reputable CB Shop and discuss antenna choices and options, and get the Antenna and a high quality Coax from the shop that helps ya (the little extra $ you might pay can be viewed as current, and maybe future, "Consultation Fees". If can't find one on your area there's a very good Shop in Carlisle, 2588397, dtbradio.com. (Check out his site and see what he's about) Dave doesn't do installations, but he can give ya suggestions on the best Antennas for your vehicle/purpose, and after you've installed your Antenna he can check it (hook up a device) to make sure it's good, and check the SWR when your radio is hooked up. Also, not all radios, especially low end, and used, radios, are exactly on frequency so you should have your radio checked, and "tuned" if necessary, so it operates at peck performance.

I know it sounds like a lot of hassle for something you'll most likely only use out on the trail, but why go through all the work and expense installing a CB just to have it perform poorly (i.e., sounding bad or not being heard farther then 200') or end up with a damaged radio that needs replaced?

This is MHO and, as always, your results may vary.

Jack

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Smac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:25:11 am »
Thanks Jack,
I have a spring and a 4ft firestick. I heard thats the best. Anyway I am in my basement sorting through brackets looking for one that will work somewhere near my spare. Any of that sound like I am on track?
I plan to go for some coax after I figure that out.
Shaun Mcintyre

07 JKU Sahara