Author Topic: Dana 30 ?'s Please help  (Read 5958 times)

Mutant_Xj

• View Profile
Dana 30 ?'s Please help
« on: March 21, 2009, 02:12:07 am »
I'm thinking of swapping my D30 in my 93 sport for my brothers D30 from a 97 grand laredo. My jeep is making a weird vibe during a slow turn and sometimes feels like its binding some. I figure swapping the axles would be an upgrade for the U-joints and maybe his wont be in as bad of shape.
Questions
-Are the unit bearings and the breaks the same. If I could unbolt my caliper and put it on the new axle I wouldn't have to bleed the brakes and could save myself some time.
-Am I missing anything. I have been told the Zj axle will fit in the Xj. I'm assuming I'll just have to unbolt the control arms, Drive shaft, shocks, and calipers. Swap axles and bolt everything back up.
-Would it be easier to swap just the shafts? Do you have to change the axle seal when you change the shafts? If I have to pull the carrier do you have to mark the R&P so the same teeth match back up? I haven't heard if you do, and if you do how? Are the unit bearings the same? I don't have a 36mm socket right now and it would be quicker to swap bearing with the shafts anyways.
-I was leaning towards swapping axles because I didn't know if the ball joints could be bad, how do you check for certain? I had the wheels jacked up and was tugging and twisting on them and they felt solid and I watched the knuckles as I jacked them up and the wheel didn't drop at all and I couldn't lift up on it on the jack stands.
Thanks for any help. I did search but didn't find enough info to make me comfortable enough to just start tearing into my DD. If there is info on this that I missed please point me towards it. I've read Go jeep's and MadXj's write up on changing axle shafts and seals, and doing ball joints. I have yet to do anything like that, and don't have much cash to get new hubs and ball joints so I'm trying to use what I got.
Damien Sees

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Dana 30 ?'s Please help
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 08:41:16 am »
the zj d 30 will bolt right up the calipers are the same so that shouldnt be a problem the hub bearings are also the same so no problem there do you happen to have a factory slip locker in the front? maybe that s your noise if so then swapping the whole axle is your best bet either way as long as the gear ratio is the same. if you swap just the shafts youll have to change the seals because of manufacturing differences(might be a hair smaller)as far as the carrier and r & p line up dont know never even thought about that just stuck em back in. the difference i notice on a d30 grand is the adjuster is on the axle instead of the body like an xj. check out NAXJA theyll definately have more info or NAGCA. good luck
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Mutant_Xj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:36:10 am »
Thanks Hillbilly. I have the same thread posted on NAXJA already. I'm thinking about swapping the shafts alone if I can get some one to help me make sure my Ball joints aren't bad. On NAXJA I was told to jack up the tire and have some one put a pry bar under the tire and pry up while I'm watching the knuckle to see if there's any movement.
Damien Sees

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 02:51:32 pm »
its only a little bit of movement when they go out but with all the weight on it when driving makes the diff. worse comes to worse take it to pep boys or such and ask for a courtesy check if they think your gonna get it fixed there they ll do it for free.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 11:19:36 pm »
U joint size,                    (297s are stronger)
High pinion,                    (stronger and more clearance)
Central axle disconnect,   (pros and cons)
Gear ratio,                      (must match rear)
Mileage,                         (nuf said)

Are all things that might make for a bad swap.

I think I would figure out what is up w/ your axle. If you have a good axle to start with and its just in need of some U joints, go get some. If your axle is in need of a lot of work and the doner axle is an upgrade in strength w/ the correct ratio, and low mileage, than swap away.

Ted 

85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s