Author Topic: Bonehead Question About Rear Driveshaft Removal  (Read 9162 times)

j.haffly

• View Profile
Bonehead Question About Rear Driveshaft Removal
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:47:48 am »
Ok....

Going stupid here or something....I'm removing the rear driveshaft and have the u-joint straps off....cant seem to get it to budge....not sure what is going on....I take it I have to move the shaft forward to get it out, but it seems to be where it wants to be....I'm thinking I just need to put more arse behind but wanted to check before I do that....

Thanks,
Jim
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Bonehead Question About Rear Driveshaft Removal
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:53:21 am »
Compress it like a Jeep chair.... :D
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:05:15 pm »
All I know is that chair couldnt have been made by Jeep....it would have stood up better!

Anyways, yea, compress it, that's what I was thinking but figured I would ask first.

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:51:15 pm »
A little force is sometimes needed when the caps are stuck/rusted in the yoke. A die bar between the pinion yoke and the joint itself is helpfull. ;)
Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 11:24:53 pm »
Yep, got it out and found a place to put in the new u-joints, one I get them....

If I only had a garage with a lift....oh, and a vice...oh, and a BF air compressor....and every other tool I need!!!

Thanks!!!

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 01:34:02 am »
Those U-Joints go in very easy with a mallot and the proper socket. One blunt shot and it's...Easy-Peesy-Japaneesy !
Oh yeah, they come out just as easy the same way.
If you weren't "Jonesing" for trail time you might have seen this done on the trail using a log or rock for a bench  ;D
But, go ahead and pay somebody $40.00 to replace a $13.00 U-Joint. According to Mr. Sarcastic that's more than your years salary, perhaps you should consider doing it yourself  ???

Oh, it certainly was a genuine "JEEP" chair my friend. Remember.....you're "Jonesing" for trail time and failed to listen to your spotter...THUS the damage was done  >:(
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:10:16 am »
$13 dollar u-joint?  Best price I can find for Spicer's are about $19 per....since there are two of them....and the place here is only going to charge $50 total INCLUDING Spicer joints....why the heck should/would I mess with it?

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 11:03:18 pm »
I don't know Jim...Just thought I'd let you know how simple the process is. Being involved in the "building & repair" of a Jeep forms a bond and sence of self pride.

Good luck...

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 08:41:34 am »
I don't know Jim...Just thought I'd let you know how simple the process is. Being involved in the "building & repair" of a Jeep forms a bond and sence of self pride.

Good luck...

I agree 100%....however, I just dont have the time or the place....and it seems whenever the folks here get together to wrench, it always conflicts with something else that is going on....I do do most of the work myself, or at least I try....when we lived in MD, I had more time and a place to do stuff....down here, time, well, it just doesnt seem to be on my side....I mean, I did pull the driveshaft!!!