Author Topic: Help with YJ (automatic) steering column  (Read 7892 times)

BennyLT

• View Profile
Help with YJ (automatic) steering column
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:43:30 pm »
Actually, help with other option for an auto 1989 YJ with 4.0. 

The steering column and box i have are junk they are super sloppy.  I can turn the wheel back and forth between about 10:00 - 2:00 and not effect the front wheels.  It is all rusty anyway and needs to be changed.  Additionally the drive selector on the column is in bad condition. 

I no longer have any controls on the column, not even the ignition switch.  Seriously the column right now only contains the sterring wheel and gear selector.  my wiring harness totally burned out so took it out and custom made EVERYTHING.  the turn signal switch is self containd one stolen from a 1960s Mack truck and it just clamps to the column, I also have a push button start on the dash and kill switch, so i don't even have the keys any more (the steering wheel lock broke long ago)

So i was wondering if I can nix the whole thing and get a plain straight column with just a steering wheel on it like a really old jeep, or tractor for that matter :) 

and somehow move the gear selector to the floor to eliminate all those rusty linkages under the hood.   maybe a shift kit or something from a donor vehicle like a cherokee.  did any have one on the floor? 

Looking for suggestions.  thanks

89 YJ - work in process
4.2L - bored 60 over - tow cam
Jasper auto trans
Still needs some things to be done before she is ready for the road/trail.

crazy4ink

• Rob "Mongo" Murphy
    • View Profile
    • Mountain Valley Customs
Re: Help with YJ (automatic) steering column
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:43:14 pm »
I have a factory console shifter from a '96 ZJ if that helps.  Matter of fact, that ZJ still has the OEM column and steering gear...
'04 TJ - Locked, Caged and Rollin' on 42s......for now.....

BennyLT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:34:39 am »
is that the same trans as the 89 YJ by any chance?  i.e. could it bolt up dirrectly with nly minor adjustments.

By console do you mean on the floor?

i'm not worried about coming up with a column if i can get rid of the gear shift.  Without the shifting linkages to wory about I can pretty much put anything in place. 
89 YJ - work in process
Jasper auto trans

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:26:59 pm »
Don't waste your time with an old school Willys type steering box and column. You won't be happy and your vehicle will be too heavy for it anyhow. Those old worm gear and sector shaft units are right loose anyway...
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

BennyLT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:31:08 am »
Don't waste your time with an old school Willys type steering box and column. You won't be happy and your vehicle will be too heavy for it anyhow. Those old worm gear and sector shaft units are right loose anyway...

Thanks for the advice.  I may have been unclear though.  I'm not really replacing the actual steering gear with old willy stuff.

I already have a new YJ steering box and a new lower shaft (the part under the hood) ready to go in, so i'm not going back to actual old school.  I am only trying to get rid of the column selector because the linkages are all rusted under the hood and there is a lot of slop in the shifter it self.  It doesnt really snap in to place any more. I fear it is going to give way any day.  I already have all of my other controls on the dash, so it would not be beneficial to me to replace the column with another OEM one with the control sticks on it.   If I can move the selector to the floor I can just take off the shift lever and the linkages and keep the steering wheel and column as is.  Or replace with a more bare bones interior column to make it look cleaner.   the colum replacement is secondary.  First I would like to move the selector to the floor. 
89 YJ - work in process
Jasper auto trans