Author Topic: Grand Cher. T-Case question  (Read 5795 times)

BennyLT

• View Profile
Grand Cher. T-Case question
« on: August 14, 2008, 11:32:32 am »
My friend has a 98 or so grand with the v8. (maybe a 283? or something like that)  It has all time all-wheel-drive.  - sorry i don't have much more detail.  it's not mine so i don't know it inside and out yet.

Anyway, he has a leaking rear main seal.  So we have to drop some components to get in there to fix it.  We were thinking it might be a good time to do a part time 4x4 conversion.   

We don't know what transfer cases are compatable and what donor vehicles to look for yet. 

He wants it to be pretty much plug and play.  He is actually truck mechanic so he can fab up mounts or whatever. 

Or if someone can even point me to a web resource with this swap detailed i would be grateful. 

Thanks
89 YJ - work in process
4.2L - bored 60 over - tow cam
Jasper auto trans
Still needs some things to be done before she is ready for the road/trail.

phil3604

Re: Grand Cher. T-Case question
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:23:48 pm »
Well without knowing an exact year, its really hard to say, but most probable that it will be difficult to find a "direct" swap if he has a V-8 and not an 4.0L inline 6. It can be swapped, but most likely the input shaft will have to be swapped in order for it to "fit".
There are numerous articles on the web for this mod, try this one at NAGCA.com (North American Grand Cherokee) -

http://www.nagca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26048

or this one at Jeep Horizons -

http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcase.html   

Both are pretty good write-ups (with pics) on how to do this swap. (you may have to copy and past the above links...i couldn't get them to work)
Good luck!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:35:53 am by Rick_Bear »

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Cher. T-Case question
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 08:36:39 am »
I corrected your links to work, but one is a dead link.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...