Author Topic: how do i lift a 42 mb on the cheap  (Read 6320 times)

aonejeeparmy

• View Profile
how do i lift a 42 mb on the cheap
« on: April 09, 2008, 05:58:06 pm »
OK i just picked up a 42 MB with a shot tub and i was wondering how to lift it on the cheap. also what are the weak parts that will more than likely break when offroading. it is just going to be my RC beater. any help is appreciated thanks

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: how do i lift a 42 mb on the cheap
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 01:07:59 am »
Cheap Lift: Use a floor jack
What breaks: Your back in an MB off-road

Yeah, these are smart A__ answers, what would anyone that knows me expect at 1:07 AM  :)

Hang in there, I'm sure someone else will chime in with positive answers  8)
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

ddechri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:11:14 am »
Rancho and BDS probably make springs. Check Hoak's for BDS.

Weak link would probably be the axles, especially when you start lifting and going to larger tires. The rear should be a full floating D25. Definitely carry a spare axle shaft or two. The front is also a D25. Check what joints are inside. The close knuckle D25 can have one of three types of joints. 2 are CV joints and have a tendency to wear until, at a bad moment, the balls will lock between the shafts and housing and grenade. Later on, they changed to regular universal joints. Bensinger might have a set of these out of a later Jeep and trade you for the originals. The u-joint versions are repairable and less likely to destroy everything just due to wear. Depending on the life of the MB, the T-84? transmission and transfer case could be fairly worn. The transmission uses bushings for the countershaft versus the needle bearing in the CJ T-90's. The transfer case is an early Spicer 18 with a 1.89 low range and a 7/8" intermediate shaft (the smallest design). While this will hold up to moderate wheeling, if you start building it up, you may want to upgrade to the T-90 and get a D18 out of a 50's+ CJ which would have the 1.125" - 1.25" intermediate shaft. If you decide to just swap the axles for later ones, most of the 4 cyl Cj's had 5.38 gears versus the 4.88 gears in the MB.

This is just what comes to mind from the stories I've heard over the years. The MB will serve you well stock, but if you add grippy tires (which isn't tough compared to the military tires), or larger tires you might overload the stock components. In fact, I've heard of rear axle shaft failures in stock vehicles that may not have been doing what's up at RC.

- Dave   
Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 02:27:05 pm »
I couldn't read this and not reply! ;D

I would hate to see a vintage piece of American Military history dispatched to the trails at RC. >:(

Don't know what you paid for it, but I guarantee you that you could sell it easily to numerous individuals involved with the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA). There just aren't many of the old MB's around and regardless of how rough your tub is, someone will think it's a gem! Why not sell it and then use the funds to get yourself an early CJ that will be more suited to your RC plans?

Just my 2 cents! ;)

Feel free to PM me or email me if I can assist you in any way. I have friends restoring military Jeeps right now and have a number of connections in the Willys arena. Heck, I will even consider posting a for sale ad for free on my website if it will help you save the MB! ;D
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

obijon

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 03:24:38 am »
pics!!!! lets see it....