Author Topic: Rewiring - dumb idea?  (Read 5786 times)

BennyLT

• View Profile
Rewiring - dumb idea?
« on: April 08, 2008, 10:13:20 am »
This weekend I am doing the MC2100 swap and HEI distributor swap at the same time. 

My hope is to eliminate the ignition wiring problems I am having right now.  Bad computer or bad module, or both.  Don’t care since they are both being bypassed. 

I am also having dash wiring problems.  The PO partially installed a used harness.  It is having all sorts of problems.  I don’t care much about most of them.  I just need to get my turn signals, wipers, and horn to work to pass inspection.  I’ll worry about the gauges later….. what radio? 

Once the module and computer are eliminated, isn’t a good portion of the under hood, and under dash harnesses not needed?   Would it be a dumb idea to try to just disconnect the dash harness and run new wires directly to the fuse block to control the signals, wipers, horn etc… rather then try to diagnose the problem existing within the harness?

The dash problem is essentially that nothing works right except the head lights & marker lights.  Turn signals don’t work, horn doesn’t work, and the dash lights want to be on all the time like they are connected to a hot lead right from the battery.  BTW  should they be switched by the headlight switch or the ignition? 

Any opinions on keeping and trying to fix the harness Vs. rewiring the needed circuits as stand alone?   
89 YJ - work in process
4.2L - bored 60 over - tow cam
Jasper auto trans
Still needs some things to be done before she is ready for the road/trail.

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
Re: Rewiring - dumb idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:01:58 pm »
Sounds like a big mess. I cant see what re wiring would hurt and I'm thinking you would not want all those other wires going who knows where (fire hazzard). After market harnes may be your best bet.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

obijon

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 03:18:52 am »
if i wuz you, i would start over - with a new painless harness. then you know whats what and whats where...

BennyLT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 08:30:02 am »
I was hoping against buying a painless harness bacause now that i have eliminated both the module and the computer, i would be paying for a whole lot of engineering that i no longer need. 

I think painless makes a fuse block by itself that maybe i could use and wire to, instead of paying big $$$ for the whole harness.
89 YJ - work in process
4.2L - bored 60 over - tow cam
Jasper auto trans
Still needs some things to be done before she is ready for the road/trail.

lt.dan

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 09:46:33 pm »
 painless sucks. instaled 3 of them,then tryed ron francis wiering harness,far supireor product gives you more options. they also alow you to set it up with wichever ignition you want.