Author Topic: Slip yoke leaking  (Read 6284 times)

BennyLT

• View Profile
Slip yoke leaking
« on: March 12, 2008, 09:26:18 am »
I have fluid dripping from the back of the slip yoke, where the rear drive shaft enters.  Is there a simple seal change, or is this somthing worse.  There is also a little side to side play in the shaft at this point.  is that normal. 

This jeep still is not "driveable" but i have gotten the engine running.  So im going over the rest to get it road/trail worthy and pass inspection.  I bought it as a project unter construction so there has been a suprise around every corner.   

It has a 1"shackel lift on it now.  Im planning on going spring lift eventually.   probably 4". 
Im wondering if i should just get the slip yoke eliminator kit now... Will i have a problem with driveshaft length while i run it with the current suspension, then go up to 4"?  I dont want to do SYE now if i will need to buy two drive shafts.  I wasnt planning on lifting it yet because im dumping $ into parts to get it going.   
89 YJ - work in process
4.2L - bored 60 over - tow cam
Jasper auto trans
Still needs some things to be done before she is ready for the road/trail.

obijon

Re: Slip yoke leaking
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:01:44 pm »
   me, i would get the SYE , lift, and driveshaft all at once if you can swing the ching$ - that way you can do the whole job in a weekend and be done.  as for the drip,
well she's not leaking, she's just marking her territory... ;)

BennyLT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:17:45 am »
     as for the drip,
well she's not leaking, she's just marking her territory... ;)

Nice!   

I don't plan on doing the lift for several moths.  I'm spending the moula on things i need to just get it driving and passing inspection.  like fixing the ingnition system and getting the turn signals and horn to work.   

The leak is annoying, but the play in the shaft is worrisome.  I dont want it to shake apart.   
89 YJ - work in process
4.2L - bored 60 over - tow cam
Jasper auto trans
Still needs some things to be done before she is ready for the road/trail.

obijon

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:54:23 pm »
dont sweat it right now - get it runnin then go for lil highway run. if it shakes too bad, replace bearing and new seal....