Author Topic: lockright locker question  (Read 12271 times)

aonejeeparmy

• View Profile
lockright locker question
« on: March 11, 2008, 08:09:35 pm »
i was lookinf for a cheap locker and my buddy nevin said to get a lockright. have any of you ever used one? if so are they good? a little help please?

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: lockright locker question
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 09:11:52 pm »
   Is this vehicle a trail rig "Only" or a DD? Which axle is this going in?  IMHO... you are better off, if it's going in your DD, with a Limited Slip unit. Like everything else "we" do to our Jeeps, once you change ONE thing, it effects lots of other systems/components. You must always remember that. Stock axles are NOT made to handle the kind of stress that a Locker can exert :(.

With that said... here's some info for you to read  http://www.4wd.com/promotions/2008-02/drivetrain-advisor.aspx?utm_source=4WD_02_08_08&utm_medium=email

I'm NOT anti-Locker, even though it might seem that way. I wanted Lockers in my XJ in the worst way, but Tray, at Hoaks 4 Wheel Drive, talked me out of it and I'm eternally gratefull he did. He suggested, and I, in turn had them install, Auburn's High Performance LS in the back ( http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/products/differentials/ )and Detroit's TruTrac ( http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/ProductsServices/PerformanceProducts/Products/Differentials/DetroitTruetrac/index.htm ) in the front and I'm really happy with these units as my XJ is my Trail Rig and DD. I would prefer to also have an Auburn LS unit in the front ;D, but would have to install a set of Lock-Outs (around $1000 :'(), because the Auburn is a High Bias unit and I don't feel like fighting the steering (and wearing out the tires) everytime I turned a corner.

As I said before... just my opinion. Do some research and thing about what the end product (your Jeep) will be. Try and spend the money ONCE.

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 10:07:11 pm »
I have a LockRight in the front Dana 30 of my CJ and have been happy with it. It's a "Trail Rig" ONLY and NOT legal to drive on the streets. I'm NOT saying you can't drive with one on the streets either. You just need to adjust your turning since both axles will be turning at the same speed. Now, I have broken axles too. IF you go this route it would be advised to upgrade your axles if your planning to do any "heavy load" rock crawling.

IF your a moderate off-roader you should be fine. But, once you see what that thing does...You'll want to do MORE...!
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 10:38:24 pm »
More info would be great. type of rig, type of use, type of axles, front and/or rear.

I dont think they are strong enough for the rear of a Jeep size axle. (35, 20, 44)
They seem to hold up in the front but the shafts and joints dont like them. and don't plan to steer.
This is my opinion of what I have seen on the trails.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

aonejeeparmy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:43:36 pm »
it is an 04 tj w/ 4.0 and a 5spd it has a dand 30 in the front and a 35 in the rear i want to put it in the fron i allready have a detroit tru trac in the rear

aonejeeparmy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 11:45:52 pm »
oh and i use it as a dd but i wheel all the time. when i go to iraq i am planning on paying it off and the making it an all out trail rig so i didnt want to but things twice if that makes sence

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 03:30:28 pm »

It seems to me it's usually the other way around. A Locker in the back and the TruTrac in the front makes for better "all-around" driving. Running a Locker in the front is good, (like Rick said, you'll be amazed!!) but if you plan on driving it on the highway a set of Lock-Out hubs would make it a nicer ride.

For a Trail Rig (with Rock climbing in mind) beefier Diffs, i.e., Dana 44's would be a something to think about for the future. Also, depending on what size tires you plan on running, Lower Gears will take the strain off the engine/Tranny. Of course this also ADDS stress to the axles, etc...  That's why I added that link to give ya some idea of the progression this takes once ya start changing things. As "I" said before, I'm NOT trying to talk ya out of this, just adding my opinion. That's why it's better to take you time and consider all the options, and configurations, before spending the $$$

Good Luck with the Jeep and there will always be lots of fellow Jeepers here to help ya.

BE SAFE in the Sandbox (one Combat Vet to another). Make U.S. proud!

Tattoo 8)

You'll NEVER know what your Limit is, 'til you pass it

Don't Shop - Adopt

lt.dan

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 10:06:15 pm »
 ran a lockrite in the back of my tj never had problembs with it , drove it every day. only used it for 40,000 miles. had a used one in my wagoneer amc 20 that is still good and will get used again.
 as for breaking axles, if you keep the tire size down they should be ok.

STEVIESYJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 12:41:03 am »
I used to have a Detroit locker like the lock right and drove it as a daily driver in the rear on a stock Dana 35 with 4:56 gears on 32's in a YJ, you will notice it on the road, also had a true trac in the front with a posi lock.  I blew an axle shaft once (My fault  ;D) and i later blew the locker out, if you want something good for a DD and also a RIG if you can afford an ARB it will drive normal on the road and then when you need it on the trail you can engage it, they aren't cheap, but should do the trick.  Like everyone said though it depends on the size of your tires.  I switched to a Super 30 w/ARB in the front and a Ford 8.8 in the rear...just my input hope it helps....  :)
Always a work in progress!!  Build, break, repeat!!
5" BDS lift 37"'s ARB Belly-Up Almost Done!!!! (For Now!!!)

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 01:39:05 pm »

If you're thinking of spending the $$ on an ARB (Open Diff when off) you could also spend a little less and have a Locker set-up that is a Limited Slip when off and Locked when on. It's electric so there's no Compressor to buy (or hook up), no leaking air lines. Just MO.

You can find them from $550-$600.
http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/product_listing.aspx?category=8946f7ff-e4b5-4b07-b738-c6f9d7f93179

Tattoo 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 07:53:04 pm »
Figured I would ask my question in this post. I have a Dana 30 with the vacuum actuator and 4:10 gears, which i was just going to take the gears and scrap the rest. But, I want a locker or limited slip in the front. Would this setup, with a posi-lok and a locker, be just as reliable as the soilid axle dana 30 with a limited slip? Obviously the locker will get better traction but I don't wanna break axles as easily. Just wondering the pros and cons of swapping the 95 Dana 30 out for an 89 Dana 30 w/vacuum actuator (replaced with posi lok)
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 05:34:01 pm »
I think adding a locker to a D30 will increase the chance of breakage.

As for the solid long side vs. disco long side I dont see any torque strength loss either way. Jumping (air time, Jeep speed, tough truck) I think discos are weaker.

Ted
Are both 30s H.P. W/ 297 joints? That may make your choice easy. 
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 10:46:01 am »
I don't fully know yet which u-joints, I was going to go check that out today since I have them stored at my parents' house
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...