Author Topic: Looking For Upgraded Axle  (Read 30462 times)

etaucher

• View Profile
Re: Looking For Upgraded Axle
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 08:19:39 pm »
The D-44 is on another Jeep Cherokee, I can't remember the model. But it was auto. Like Iv said before, Im still new at learning about the Axles and other Jeep stuff. I was told that the biggest size that a D-35 is able to hold are 30's.

Also its not the brakes holding up, I replaced the back brakes as soon as I got the Jeep, as well as the E-brake cables. I noticed the little buck when I had my 235/60/R15 on. But I didn't think much of it. When I put my 31's on, I noticed a difference in the bucking within a few months. So I changed my, plugs, wires, cap, rotator. TPS. And still the bucking, I have also checked my brakes again thinking, maybe they where hanging. And there not. So the only other thing that I think it could be is my rear is going bad.
......Keep on Trucking......
-----------------------------------------
1993 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, Auto, 2" Shackle Lift, 31x10.50R15
Edward Taucher

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 10:48:15 pm »
It could be the bearings going bad, they can be replaced. I dont think it has anything to do with the 31"s (size/weight) if it is the bearings and you act soon you can save your ring and pinion.
There are thousands of D35s on the road with millions of miles on them, your running 31"s on a DD with the occational trip off pavement, the 35 will serve you just fine. You will have more ground clearance than a 8.25 and more $ in your pocket.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 05:22:07 am »
I never thought about the bearings going bad, come to think of it, I never have checked my rear since I bought it. Maybe that is the problem. I will have to check that out.
Edward Taucher

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 04:19:38 pm »
Like Iv said before, Im still new at learning about the Axles and other Jeep stuff.
   That's why I suggested Eric's book, but you acted like you didn't want to hear it.  Are you really looking for help, or just someone who'll agree with ya?

More Questions... What size engine? Auto or Stick? If it's manual, do you get this "dogging", or Bucking, in 1st and 2nd gear too or only high gear? 

Differential Gear Ratios are not the same in Automatic and Manual transmissioned Cherokees, so if you get that Rear (from the Auto and you're Stick) you can add another $150, Plus installation, for changing the R/P in the front. The "Type" of Cherokee (Model XJ) that you have was first made in 1984, any part from earlier "Cherokees" won't work! These are called FS (Full Size) Cherokees.

Differentials... Strength wise, if they're both 27 splines, the Dana 35 & Chry 8.25, you'd be wasting your $ on the 8.25, it's actually the weaker (shaft wise) of the twoplus the fact they both use C-Clips, even the Late Model 29 spline shafts. This way when you break an axle, the wheel falls off :o

I agree with Ted, the 31's are NOT your problem. I ran 31's on my 3.55 geared XJ and I lost a bunch of power (acceleration). I installed 4.11 gears and got it back. Now I'm running 33's and it still runs great, but now I've added a ton of stress to my U-Joints and axle shafts. You do realize that you went up 5 (THAT'S FIVE) tire sizes :o :o That's a huge change in Differential gearing! Also, you are now traveling about 11% faster then your speedo says you are, can you spell "SPEEDING TICKET" :'(

Tattoo 8)

Big Point to remember... Everytime you make a change it effects EVERYTHING up, or down, stream.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:25:13 pm by (Tattoo) Jack »
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

MudSlinger

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 05:01:02 pm »
i do agree with jack if you get that book you will learn alot with your xj. i haveread one and it surprises me what i didn't know even working in a garage and around cars aslong as i have

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 05:39:53 pm »
i do agree with jack if you get that book you will learn alot with your xj. i haveread one and it surprises me what i didn't know even working in a garage and around cars aslong as i have

I was not ignoring your comment. I plan to get the book. I was saying I plan to upgrade the back axle later down the road. So why not do it now. I was thinking of doing the 8.25, but read more on the internet, that the D-44 the better choice. And I found one at my local junk yard. That I think I will pick up. Both trannys come from autos. I now understand there are diff gears from the auto/5 speed. My Jeep being a 5 speed, what I am now asking is, what gears should I go with? The 4.11 gears like you have Jack? I understand I will have to change the gears in the front and the back. Im looking for a better Axle so when later down the road I start taking it off road more, it will hold up. Im also looking for better gears for driving. I also know that my speedo is not telling me my real speed.

I'm not a total idiot, Im just asking for advice about the axle I have in my Jeep and one I want to install into my Jeep. And well I WAIT for the book to get to my house. I was asking for help, until then. Also I have the 4.0 Straight 6 Cyl motor, and its 5 speed like I said before. And yes, I do get the bucking in low gears, it just gets worse in higher gears.

Also here is a short video of my gears, there making a clunking noise when I move them back and forth. Not sure if there to do that, so Im asking, sorry the video is a bit dark, my camera suxs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5g3APSoK34
Edward Taucher

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2008, 07:32:53 pm »
   DAH.....  I realize who you are now... Them are some awesome 31's you got there and fancy wheels too ;D

The video will be have to be reviewed by Ted and others, I can't help ya there.

Gear Ratio... How big a tire do ya plan on having? If you're keeping the 31's for a while (I think everyone goes bigger sooner or later) then 3.73 would be a good "all-around" gear. I think the 4.10 (it was actually 4.10 I have installed and not 4.11) would be too Low with 31's as a DD. Another problem you'll have to deal with sometime in the future is the front Dana 30. I believe from '84-'91 there were a lot of XJ's came with the Vacuum Disconnect Dana 30. This means there's a Vacuum Line to leak or break and the passenger side, inner axle shaft is 2 pieces and they might have the smaller U-Joints. There are ways of converting this kind of axle.

For now, I'd find out what is happening and just have that fixed. Maybe just a new Carrier or spider gears. With those 31's, the Dana 35 is good enough and will take ya lots of places. A Dana 44 is the way to go if you plan on going BIG. If you get one cheap enough you can take your time and rebuild it while it's out from under (and add Disk Brakes). If you plan on making this '89 a real Rock Crawling, big tire machine, you might want to reconsider. It's a 2 door and they're not as structurally sound as a four door to be flexing over big rocks. Once you get Eric's book and start reading all the pros and cons with the different years you'll see this year will make a good "mild" XJ and if you plan on building one built like Eric's, and others in the book, you start looking at the Later Models. He also lists "donor" vehicles that you can get Dana 44's from and what needs to be done, if anything, to install one under your XJ.

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2008, 08:37:46 pm »
I plan to go no bigger then 33's. So you advise the 3.73? I found a set of 3.55 gears and a set of 3.73 gears on ebay. The 3.73 gears are $59.95 with $17.00 shipping. The 3.55 gears are Buy It Now, $39.0 with $16.00 shipping. Is that a good deal for the gears? Also if I don't use my 4x4 can I get away with just replacing the back gears for the time being? Or would I HAVE to replace the front gears at the same time?
Edward Taucher

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2008, 08:49:40 pm »
There looks like play in the spider and side gears. I don't think that is a big concern.
Look at the pinion when doing that, there should be no end play or up and down play. To check the carrier bearings, pull the shafts, mark and pull the caps. If the carrier falls out without prying it they are probably shot, get new ones. the pinion bearings should be swaped as well becouse 1. your in there  2. the pinion spins three to four times more than the carrier
I would write more but I'm not sure you want to take on the rebuild of a diff.

As for a D44 vs a 29 spline 8.25 they are so close in strenth it would be like comparing apples to apples.
There is more after market surport for a 44 and you can go lower than 4.56 (limmit of the 8.25)
But the 8.25 has equal length shafts. you would only have to carry one for a spare.

Gear ratio: I like my 4.56s but you can't beat going to the bone yard and getting axles from a 4 cyl (4.10s) swaping them out in a weekend and walk away cheeper than buying gears and bearings. Look for low miles, that 8.25, and a high pinion non disco front.

Ted

I read your new post
You can have non matching gears but dont use 4x4
3.55s would be a waste of time and $.  3.73s are almost going to be a waste as well.
Used gears are OK as long as there good and were made (lapped) as a match set
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 08:54:10 pm »
Thats what someone on another forum said. He told me to go to the bone yard find a good low mile set of D-35's with 4.10 gears out of a 4 banger. He said he did it, and paid about 150 for both axles. I priced 4.11 gears at the part store and they want $183 for the back. And another $173 for the front.

So my BEST bet would be, to find a set of D-35's from the bone yard that have 4.10 gears? BUT does it matter if there from an auto? My bone yard only has 1 5 speed. and the diff is marked 3.73.
Edward Taucher

MudSlinger

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 10:48:13 am »
i don't think that it matters for that. but im soon going to 4.10 in my rears and rebuilding my rears and the disco in the d30s suck i had a 89 with that and was going to replace it with the cable to lock it i think it a lock riht locker for that. it does make a diff b/c u don't have to keep checking on the vac lines to make sure you have 4wd

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 09:34:07 pm »
i had the factory disco on my 91 w 3.55 gears bought one from eichelbergers w/o the disco same gearing replaced the ball joints and ujoints also the check the ujoints and some later model d30s come w 297 upgrade mine did makes a stronger front if wheeling hard  but the new axle rolled in and bolted right up plug the disco lines and no problems
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 04:07:41 pm »

Picking that up for $25 bucks. Its a Chryco 8.25 with 3.07 Gears (which is what I have, I belive), it came out of a 1998 Cherokee. It needs brakes, but well I have it off, Im going to do the Disk Brake swap, clean the Axle and paint it with a Rust proof Black paint.
Edward Taucher

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 08:33:33 pm »
what year 8.25   makes a difference the post 96 are larger spline stronger axle but the 8.25 is tougher than a d35.

and by the way jack bought the book aloooooot of sh3t i didnt even know.  very good investment for an xj owner.lot of secrets in it. thanks for the heads up on it
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 08:54:57 pm »
Heres the guys ad.

"8.25 out of a 98 Jeep cherokee 29-spline, 3.07 gears, open, needs brakes! 25$"