Author Topic: Muffler Suggestions  (Read 14611 times)

j.haffly

• View Profile
Muffler Suggestions
« on: June 14, 2009, 07:07:48 am »
Hey gang....My TJ failed the inspection here in VA....exhaust issues....anyways, I'm pretty sure it's the muffler as it's original, cant find any issues else where, I did have to tighten the flange at the header connection....I was wondering if I should just go with the basic Dynomax from Quad or put a Cherry Bomb Glasspack on it......what do you folks think?

Jim
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Muffler Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 08:33:40 am »
Jim,

Didn't they tell what the issue was with the exhaust....?

You don't want a "Cherry Bomb" on it.....too loud
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Scott Gibson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 08:34:58 am »
I used a Flowmaster 40 series with a 2.5 inch tailpipe.  Has a mellow sound and has to free up some power compaired to that little tailpipe from the factory.

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:00:39 pm »
Nope....all they said was the exhaust failed and he thought it might be the muffler....I had it up a lift a few weeks ago and that's where we found the loose flange up at the exhaust header.....every thing else looked good.....the cat is only about 4 years old, whole other story on that....but the muffler is original....

Exhaust too loud?!?!  ;D  Is there such a thing!?

Jim

Jim,

Didn't they tell what the issue was with the exhaust....?

You don't want a "Cherry Bomb" on it.....too loud

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 10:05:35 am »
So they failed it for exhaust but they don't know why they failed it for exhaust?  ???  ::)

I have a Dynomax on my XJ and I really don't think it sounds all that great. It's barely a step up from stock sound. I've heard a few 4.0L with Flowmaster 40 series on them. The flowmaster a nice mean yet mellow tone, that's not loud and annoying. I was thinking of getting one for mine since I had to modify my catback after first being modified by some rocks. But I just delt with it and bent it all sorta back where it belongs.

As far as cherry bombs go, they are loud and annoying. NUFF SAID!
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:27:22 pm »
The emissions test most likely sensed a leak, but they want his money to diagnose where.
Does D.C. have the "Full Test" Jim...? I assume they do.
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:53:31 am »
It actually wasnt the emissions test that I failed....it was the safety inspection....I didnt know I could fail that due to my exhaust....learn something every day....the emmissions test for VA is just your OBD anymore....after I get the exhaust taken care of I still have to redo the safety part THEN the emmissions test....

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 09:02:41 am »
Muffler question....what is the intake diameter and outflow diameter I need to get for a muffle?

Charlie

• PA Jeeps-Vice President
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 10:04:57 am »
Jim,
My oldest son put a Flowmaster on, it has a nice tone to it. He also had a custom cat back put on while he was at it.
Charlie "The Tuna" Stevens
2004 Wrangler Sport-4 1/2" BDS Suspension, 1 1/4" JKS Body Lift with 35" BFG's

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 10:26:25 am »
I'd like to do that but I cant see putting a ton of money into it....just want to get it past inspetion to make street legal....

Charlie

• PA Jeeps-Vice President
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 02:08:18 pm »
I understand. 8)
Charlie "The Tuna" Stevens
2004 Wrangler Sport-4 1/2" BDS Suspension, 1 1/4" JKS Body Lift with 35" BFG's

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:34:16 pm »
just fyi but duct tape DOES NOT WORK in this situation. :-\
 how is the muffler not safe? ie hanging off/broken bracket?
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 10:14:33 pm »
Brings up an interesting experience I had some 8 years ago.....

I crushed the pipe at the collector while wheeling at Paragon...Holy Crap it was loud.
Stopped in a local grocery store and bought a very large can of beans and a bag of potatoes.
Drained the beans, cut a hole the diameter of the pipe, filled the can with potatoes and punched numerous holes with a screwdriver on the outside.
Bailing wire and muffler tape held her on.
It lasted up to about 2 miles from home.....That was sweet.

Without it I was sure to get pulled over. That open header was loud, and I mean loud.

BTW- Bailing wire is something nice to carry in your "Bag-of-Tricks" while out on the trail....Can help in many situations.

Jim, if all you need is a muffler just by an "El Cheepo" to get it through inspection. Get under there and measure the diameter of the exhaust pipe so you get a muffler with the correct collars. Cut the pipe with a hacksaw or a saws-all and work up a sweat. Slide the muffler on and clamp it.

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 09:49:32 am »
They failed it I think for the sound....plus, if you block the end of the exhaust pipe, no diff....nothing changes....and it's the original muffler to boot....I didnt see any issues any place else, except for tighting up the flange at the header....

just fyi but duct tape DOES NOT WORK in this situation. :-\
 how is the muffler not safe? ie hanging off/broken bracket?

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 09:51:14 am »
Good stuff Rick...as usual....just wish I had a garage!!!  Did see a place in Annadale area, big yard, huge garage, only $2,000 a month....which really aint that bad....for hear anyways....

Brings up an interesting experience I had some 8 years ago.....

I crushed the pipe at the collector while wheeling at Paragon...Holy Crap it was loud.
Stopped in a local grocery store and bought a very large can of beans and a bag of potatoes.
Drained the beans, cut a hole the diameter of the pipe, filled the can with potatoes and punched numerous holes with a screwdriver on the outside.
Bailing wire and muffler tape held her on.
It lasted up to about 2 miles from home.....That was sweet.

Without it I was sure to get pulled over. That open header was loud, and I mean loud.

BTW- Bailing wire is something nice to carry in your "Bag-of-Tricks" while out on the trail....Can help in many situations.

Jim, if all you need is a muffler just by an "El Cheepo" to get it through inspection. Get under there and measure the diameter of the exhaust pipe so you get a muffler with the correct collars. Cut the pipe with a hacksaw or a saws-all and work up a sweat. Slide the muffler on and clamp it.