Author Topic: Which Lift To Get  (Read 13961 times)

etaucher

• View Profile
Which Lift To Get
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:36:11 pm »
Now that I have finished my rear swap, and Im starting to price new gears and lockers, what lift should I go with?

For the time being I was thinking about this lift.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120330675667&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

Then I was thinking about upgrading to

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUSPENSION-LIFT-KIT-JEEP-CHEROKEE-XJ-4-1-2-COIL-KIT-J8_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a543Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem330272808611QQitemZ330272808611QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I want to stay with the Rough County Lift, but I also don't want to spend alot of money at the same time. (trying to do a budget Jeep)

If anyone has a 2" lift that they want to part with let me know, I could buy it Thursday.
......Keep on Trucking......
-----------------------------------------
1993 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, Auto, 2" Shackle Lift, 31x10.50R15
Edward Taucher

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Which Lift To Get
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 08:11:45 pm »
first one is a shackle lift but second one comes with same shackle lift, wont work together. try this rough country 4.5", its what im running.   And you will need the extended brake lines, trust me the stockers rip right out, the brake line relocaters are just brackets and you have to straighten your hard lines.       http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/Gen2ProdDisplay.php?iview=25474146    or this one with new springs no blocks (blocks on an xj are "tipsy")   http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/Gen2ProdDisplay.php?iview=55400666  good luck
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:29:54 pm »
   Well... one of the lifts will only lift ya 2" and the other "about" 4.5 inches. The latter one didn't mention extended rear brake line or a Track Bar, something you'll need for sure. You might be able to get away with relocation brackets for the front BL with a 2" lift, but I'm not so sure about a 4.5" lift. If you Disconnect, and Flex (like my Avatar shows) you'll rip a brake line with a 4.5" lift. You can get away without a Track Bar with a 2" lift, but adding 4.5" of lift WILL have your front axle sticking outpass the left fender about 2-3". A GOOD TB will run from $120-199, depending on the brand (a TB relocation bracket is a cheaper alternative). If you buy a TB, GET A GOOD ONE cause the cheap ones break! Ask Rickie how much fun it is to drive home without a TB. Everytime you go around a left hand curve, your body kinda stays to the right and the axle kinda stays to the left. :o  On that eBay Ad there are some "ODD" statements... there is only a 2" bump stop extension supplied to drastically increase wheel travel"  First off an extended Bump-Stop DOESN'T increase wheel travel, it decreases UP travel. It keeps your bigger tires from hitting the Body and causing damage.  "...New extremely heavy duty lower control arms are supplied to correct alignment as well as axle location." I'm not sure WHAT alignment they're talking about unless they mean Caster, and as far as Front Axle Location, it's both the Upper/Lower Control Arms (for front to back Location) AND the Track Bar (for side to side Location). Left sprung axles don't need TB's, the Leaf springs control Axle Location.
    IMO, 32" tires seem to be as big as you can go with the "minimum" of modifications and$. Once you take the next step to 33's, it'll cost ya $ and time for ALL the extra "stuff" that needs to be done so you can Off-Road.

Hope this helps...  Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 11:35:41 pm »
IF you are looking to run 33's and BIGGER eventually you'll want to go "Long-Arm"
Yeah, it's more $$$ NOW, but you'll be preparred later.

IF you are comfortable with 32's, Jack just offered you sound advise. Stay oway from your first link. JMO
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 03:30:21 pm »
I was going to buy the 2" lift for the time being, well I save for a bigger lift. And yes Jack did give me some good advice, I can't wait to get Ericks book, then I will no for sure. But a 2" lift is all I want till winter is over, then I will go buy a "GOOD" lift kit.
Edward Taucher

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:58:10 pm »

There's nothing wrong with a 2" lift. I ran about a 2.5", or a little more, Lift and went lots of places up at R/C AND Camp Jeep. Another point I need to tell ya about is with those stock rims, they have a 5.5" Back Space. You "might" be able to run 32x11.50, but it will be real close :o The problem is in the back, the tire's side wall will rub on the Leaf Springs! Buying new rims (with a smaller BS) is another reason why going to 33x12.50 will cost ya.

Tattoo 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 12:29:41 am »
Wheel spacers...?
Not legal (PA.) for street, but an easy option that is removable for inspection.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:06:46 pm »
check craigslist just saw a set of 15x8x 4.5 there yesterday    http://york.craigslist.org/pts/915147598.html   might be what you need
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 04:36:50 pm »
Not really fond of the design, but that is an option.
Edward Taucher

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:38:23 pm »
paint em black.   by the time your done beaten em around youll know what kind of good ones youd like.

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 10:03:21 am »
  Well... if you put a 2" spacer on the front and an 2" Extended Shackle in the back you should be able to do Yellow Jacket Ridge, I did. You just have to REALLY watch your Line (and pick your obstacles).
   In the picture below, I was running the tires you have, 2" Extended Shackles and ACOS in the front set to level the vehicle. I also had the rear shock mounts removed and new ones located up and out of the way (NOT necessary, but will give me an extra 2" of Droop and not hang up on "stuff"). I had extended shocks up front and Sway Bar Disconnects and I just straighten out the front Brake Lines and drilled and re-mounted the original Brake Line Bracket. Of course, I did have L/S differentials installed, front and back, but that has nothing to do with ground clearance.
    But if want to run R/C then you have to also have Recovery Points front and back. I found front hooks and brackets on eBay for about $70. You NEED to mount the hooks to the Frame Rails (not to the bumper).
    Anyway... I thought I'd add this.

Tattoo 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 03:15:25 pm »
got a set of those bumper to frame to hook from rustys used for $30 same thing you got jack

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 03:40:03 pm »
got a set of those bumper to frame to hook from rustys used for $30 same thing you got jack

Sounds like it was a GOOD deal ;D

Tattoo 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 03:43:38 pm »
yeah cant use em though, wanted to put them on the back but diff design, ill just sellfor what i got em for

MudSlinger

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 10:02:23 am »
check out zone offroad for a lift a 4.5 is 500 and comes with everything you need to lift it and free shipping also