Author Topic: 350 engine swap in yj?  (Read 10289 times)

88YJDIPSHT

350 engine swap in yj?
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:36:12 am »
Well this past summer i finished the pukeout ->ax15 tranny swap and i was replacing some seals and gaskets. well i noticed on the front main seal was kinda worn down more on the one side then the other. i talked to my buddy and he says its a sign of crank walk.

SO i have decided to go to the dark side and drop a 350 v8 and an auto tranny in it.

i've got the 350 in the garage being torn down right now , getting it ready for the rebuild. but i dont know what else i will need for the conversion.

the jeep is a 1988 Yj with a 258 5 speed.

all help will be apperciated

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Re: 350 engine swap in yj?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 11:07:13 am »
There is a company called "Advanced Adapters" - they could be your best friend during this process as they've got the stuff already designed, engineered and fabricated for most common swaps.  Shame you didn't opt for a ford Y block - the distributor location (on the front of the engine, rather than at the firewall) eliminates one possible clearance issue -

Best of luck with the swap

Steve

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 01:29:41 pm »
is your v8 computerized you will need that also and the sensors (o2,maf,map,etc) what about the radiator and will the engine hit the steering box? new driveshafts? tcase? will they match up? ive done these swaps before and theres more involved than you think just trying to help.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

88YJDIPSHT

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 02:16:58 pm »
Well as of right now all I have is the engine and it is not computerized.

I still have the 258 under the hood so I wouldn't know if its going hit anything.

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 05:48:54 pm »
If you keep it really basic (carb, mechanical fuel pump or electrical with a pressure regulator, single wire HEI ignition or (gasp, horrors) an old school distributor with points, condensor, rotor and an external coil you can keep the "get it running" anxiety to a minimum - trying to blend together computerized harnesses is a real PAIN in the nethers (this I know from a "non-Jeep" project I dug myself into a few years back that started with "why CAN'T I put an Audi turbocharged engine into a VW rabbit?" - seemed simple at the outset (both owned by the same parent company - yeah - right) anyhow I found out and - after investing time and money had a "to hell with it" moment of clarity (and offloaded the "project" to some other poor sap - although - he was warned). 
Even on (what should be) plug simple factory swaps (like putting a 350CI small block and a 4spd muncie into a '67 Chevy II that originally had 3 on the tree and an I6) problems can arise - you've just got to keep cool and work through 'em.
The less complex your engine management system is the easier the project will be - the issues of physically fitting everything in pale when compared to trying to diagnose why the crank trigger isn't firing or why the ECU just got fried ....
Keep grinning -

Steve

88YJDIPSHT

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 10:55:05 am »
So if I were to do the ford Y block, I guess that would be like a carb'd 302?  What tranny and transfer case would I use?  And with the ford drivetrain I could keep the driver side drop axel style