Author Topic: Quick question - lower control arm replacement  (Read 5680 times)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Quick question - lower control arm replacement
« on: March 11, 2008, 01:17:41 pm »
Quick question - I'm going to be replacing my RS LCA tonight when I get home from work - working in the driveway - is there any need for me to put the XJ on jackstands to do this OR can I just put a "safety stand" under  the RS and work with it sitting on the ground?  It would seem to me that it'd be fine sitting on the ground (got the nuts off last night - all I need to do is yank the bolts, drop the old LCA, insert the new one and bolt it up, right?).

If I need to I'll jack it up and put it on stands - just doesn't seem to be something I'll need to do - unless there's a good (like safety) reason to do so -

I've got to get it done tonight - #1 daughter is home from college and - with the Jeep being off the road I've been using her car to go to-from work - I really think she'd rather be out and about during the day!

Thanks

Steve

obijon

Re: Quick question - lower control arm replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 04:15:34 pm »
  if its my neck under the truck, its on jackstands ALWAYS...you see, ive got 3 jeeps but only one neck! be safe!  ;)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:36:38 pm »
Took maybe 15 minutes to swap in the new one - both bolts FLEW out (after being persuaded by my BMFH) - used a bottle jack to force the axle forward so I could get the front bolt through - tightened to 85 foot pounds (four grunts) - bing-freakin'-go - all buttoned up - I DID have a support under the vehicle - although it wasn't jacked up at all - just in case something decided to shift or break - like you - multiple vehicles - one neck - I once came across a friend, quite dead, who'd relied on a hydraulic jack to hold up a full sized American car (circa 1972) - needless to say discovering that the red stuff (hey, is that transmission fluid?) was blood - I never went under a car supported by hydraulics!

Steve

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 09:52:13 pm »
Even though the vehicle is on stands, I personally place a tire under the axle for added safety.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...