Author Topic: lift and tires for 89 xj?  (Read 16430 times)

G_REX

lift and tires for 89 xj?
« on: November 10, 2008, 08:23:50 am »
Hi,New to Pa. Jeep forum,I just bought a 89 cherokee for my boys and myself  to work on.I've had yj's and a few cj's awhile ago,but the xj's are a new breed for me.Anyway my question is how much of  a lift and tires can I go with before I need a yoke slip eliminator set up?I will do some fender trimming if needed.Probably lockers ,bumpers,engine work.I would like to put at least 33''s on it.It will be a trail/road rig,but more for trails.Any help is appreciated.Thanks.

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: lift and tires for 89 xj?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 06:10:53 pm »
got 6.5 total on my 91 xj with the older xj s you dont need a sye the tcase comes with a longer sturdier tail shaft to prevent the wobble. go with a rough country you can get a 4.5 for less than most others 4"    starting with an xj but the book HIGH PERFORMANCE JEEP CHEROKEE XJ BUILDERS GUIDE by eric zappe lots of info. and 33's will fit with  a little trimming got bushwackers on mine and can fit 35's with a light rub.   good luck need more of us BIG jeeps out there.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:29:39 pm »
   Eric's website is full of great info, as is his book! Below are just 2 of the many informative websites for us XJer's.

http://ericsxj.com/

http://www.naxja.org/

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/product_categories.aspx  I run their High Performace L/S differential in my Chry 8.25 Rear and it works GREAT! You must check out their ECTED unit. It works as a L/S when off, but when the electric switch (NO air needed) is flipped "On", it's a LOCKER. Also check out their D-REX program. If I had seen this unit first, I'd be running this instead of the L/S.

Tattoo 8)
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:05:32 pm »
of topic, got the book jack. worth the money   and nice to have ya back, howd ya do?
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:40:42 pm »

All I can say is... What's SPENT in Vegas, STAYS in Vegas   :'(

My Wife's (3.0 Senior Doubles) Tennis Team got 3rd place (in the NATION!!) in the USTA National Play-Offs. So we're real happy ;D  Her Team was 19-2 for the season and the National Semi's was real tough and the only difference between them getting 3rd or going to the Finals was just 2 points in a Tie-Breaker.
   16 Teams showed up, but 12 were sent packing after the first day and a half. She played 5 matches in 3 days :o She fought hard and I'm really proud of her!

Tattoo :D ;D :D

Don't Shop - Adopt

G_REX

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 06:37:30 am »
Thanks for the help,30 in the front and looks like35 in rear.It already has a 2'' spacer in the front and shackle in rear.Probably ripping all off and go with4.5'' rc. Just start working away at it,with my boys.Thanks again.

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 02:16:59 pm »

G_Rex,  OOPS........

Should have started my first reply with WELCOME ABOARD!!!. There are some really TALENTED wrenches on this site, so whatever you need, as far as info, you'll get the right help here ;D

Tattoo 8)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 04:09:30 pm by (Tattoo) Jack »

Don't Shop - Adopt

G_REX

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 06:42:34 am »
Thanks,I used to be hot and heavy into 4x4's,then the kids came,so now that they are older,I can start working on my toys instead of mini bikes,gocarts,dirtbikes,ect.But the best part is they are in the garage wrenching away and running for tools.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 03:03:33 pm »
yeah there great little go fors aint they.                                 if only i could get him to but them back too.....         
hes already partsing a jeep hes got the grill, front seats , and rollbar from a yj.    and this is in his club house.
let me know if you want to go 4" found an xj in the boneyard w a rough country lift and most of the goodies.

G_REX

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 06:51:53 am »
I'd be interested in the 4'',how much,what all there?Track bar?Also looking for some stock steel dodge rimd ,so I can use old school mini hub caps.Thanks.Pm. me

G_REX

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 08:37:09 am »
Do you guys know if the 4.5'' rc. lift comes with a bracket for the trac bar,or should I but a new track bar ,Thanks

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 08:43:41 am »
the kit tells you to drill a new hole 3/4" to the drivers side at the bottom locationof tracbar hookup you can download the inst for free of their sight but a new rc tracbar at jc whitney is about $99 got mine from them free shipping, but you can use the stock bar with the hole redrilled it works fine but i added 2" and had to change the bar

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 01:30:43 pm »

IMO, (if it doesn't take money from another Part) I'd buy a Brand Name (i.e., Rubicon Express, R.C., etc.) "Adjustable" Track Bar. That way if you decide to up the lift you're not buying another TB or leaving the axle is off center a little.
    Rickie ("Rusty XJ") was having some trouble with a certain vendor's TB. Maybe ask him how he made out and if they figured out why his was breaking :o. Of course, there's always the TB relocation Bracket. I never used one so I don't know they work.

Tattoo 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

G_REX

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 06:48:52 am »
That was my next question,How are the lifts from Rusty's (4.5'') says it comes with an adj.TB,any help?Thanks for all the answers.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 03:54:53 pm »
rough country  $659.This kit contains....
+
   New front variable rate coil springs
+
   Front lower control arms w/ new bushings and sleeves which maintain proper alignment
+
   Transfer case drop
+
   Sway bar drop brackets
+    Brake line extension brackets
+    Replacement rear leaf springs w/ 4" of lift built in.
+    New rear u-bolts w/ washers and nuts
+    All necessary hardware which is zinc plated
+    Complete instructions
+
   4 Heckethorn 8000 series shocks
(9000 series nitrogen shocks available for only $24 more for all four)
rustys  $699         KIT INCLUDES:
• Front 4.5" coil springs
• Rear 4.5" leaf springs
• Fixed front lower control arms
• Front hydro performance shocks
• Rear hydro performance shocks
• Adjustable trac bar
• Transfer case drop kit
• Brake line extension kit
• Grade 8 U-Bolts
• 6 degree shims %parts%