Author Topic: Hard Top Soft Top  (Read 5775 times)

jpwrangler2006

Hard Top Soft Top
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:29:44 pm »
Although I have been a fan of Jeep since my brother had one in the mid 1970's, I have finally been able to buy a 2006 TJ .  Since I bought it a few months back I have changed jobs.  I now drive 800 miles of PA Interstate roads each week.  My TJ has a soft top and now with the driving speeds the interior noise level gets really loud.  I am considering buying a hard top but after seeing pictures of them it looks like they are just a shell and might not be any better for noise.  Can anyone tell me if the investment of a hard top is worth it?

Thanks!

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Top Soft Top
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 12:07:17 am »
A hard top is a bit more sound proof, but does contain you within in the event you would like to open up some. This is a choice only you will have to decide. But, if you are looking for a "soft-top" that is better and does NOT offer the noise then you need to look into one of these. Link provided below:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?cn=Bestop+Replace-a-top+for+97-06+Jeep+Wrangler+TJ&c=12&pn=11132+43X%2C11132+83X%2C11132+53X%2C11132+63X%2C11132+73X%2C11132+1XX%2C11132+2XX%2C11132+%7EXX%2C11139+%7EXX%2C11132+3XX%2C11033+301&h=&spg=&cv=

Besttop Sailcloth Top
A hard top will run you more if NEW. I've driven a co-workers TJ down the highway two days after his was installed at 85 mph and I was very impressed. This fabric doesn't stretch & stay "per-say"....It holds tight with NO noise...I was impressed...VERY impressed.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 08:44:30 am »
Me...I love the "noise"!  Music to my ears....

I would think choice of rubber will make a big diff also....

But I started with a hard top and full metal doors, sold both the hard top and the doors to help offset the cost of lifting it....that left me with a little left over to go towards the purchase of my BestTop Supertop with 2-piece soft-doors.

Like Rick said, it's all personal preference....heck, I've ran it with a bikini top and a windjammer in the middle of winter before.  Granted, that's been awhile....

I like being able to take the doors off in a moments notice, zip-out the side windows and take the back window out....love it....
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

jpwrangler2006

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:03:59 am »
Thank you for the help.

jpwrangler2006

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 08:37:39 pm »
Just an update and review.  I bought the Besttop Sailcloth and after putting on some miles today highway and back roads, it is OK, but not great by any means.  The rear quarter panels are definitely quieter and do not flap against the bars even at 70MPH.  After a few days I couldn't justify keeping it as it was not as good as the OEM top so it went back to Quadratec.  Quadratec claimed that I would notice a huge difference in the tops when in actuality the OEM fits tighter.

I also learned that I need to stick with dealing with Hoak's 4wd for my business.  Although Quadratec beat Hoak's price, I was really disappointed in the sales people with Quadratec. Their attitude was very "high and mighty" and almost seemed to belittle the fact that I am new to Jeep.   Mike at Hoak's is top notch and they will have to deal with my ignorance from now on.   ;D

Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 09:07:27 pm by jpwrangler2006 »