Author Topic: Stalling and squealing! Heeeeellllp!  (Read 6129 times)

JeepCrazed

Stalling and squealing! Heeeeellllp!
« on: May 17, 2010, 12:37:03 pm »
ok, so my CJ5 squeals and stalls out. The squeal seems to be coming from the water pump, but I took it off and everything looks good. But the alternator seems to be eating up the V Belt. But it seems to turn no problems. Also When I turn it on it idles fine-ish, but once I start moving it wants to stall out. I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it runiing. I've been told this is a carb issue. Any thoughts? And If anyone who is good with carbs lives near me, I am good at providing beer!  ;D I need a little help! I don't know Carbs at all.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Stalling and squealing! Heeeeellllp!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:18:17 am »
It may need a rebuild kit or just adjusted.
Have you changed the fuel filter...?

Where are you located?
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

JeepCrazed

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 01:15:10 pm »
It may need a rebuild kit or just adjusted.
Have you changed the fuel filter...?

Where are you located?

Ya, I changed it.
I am in North Wales, by Montgomeryville.

Mike D

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 01:38:17 am »
What engine and carb do you have? Did you have black smoke pouring out the exhaust when you drive it?  Also how long has this been doing this? Water in the gas a bad spark plug or wire can cause these problems to.

JeepCrazed

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:43:00 am »
What engine and carb do you have? Did you have black smoke pouring out the exhaust when you drive it?  Also how long has this been doing this? Water in the gas a bad spark plug or wire can cause these problems to.

I just bought the Jeep about three weeks ago. It has been sitting for over a year. It did that on the way home. I haven't tried to move it since until this past weekend after I changed the oil, coolant, fuel filter to make sure it got some of the major things out of the way. I do know the previous owner was messing with the carb not knowing what he was doing so he could sell it because when we started it there it was idling at around 2000 rpms if not more. It was racing so I turned it down a little, but I asked him what he did and he said he didn't know, that he was just turning things. But no black smoke. I was going to change the plugs and wires next.

Mike D

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 01:45:13 am »
If it has been sitting for a year you will need to get the old gas out of the tank before you mess with the carb. Also a couple other things to look at before adjusting the carb is the timing, vacuum leaks (check to see it the vacuum advance is hooked up) distributor cap and rotor and fuel pump (if it is not working right it will starve the engine)