Author Topic: U-Joint Question  (Read 12960 times)

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
U-Joint Question
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:08:07 pm »
My 95 XJ needs new U-Joints for the driveshafts and I was told by a few people Spicer U-Joints were the best. I can't seem to find anyone who sells Spicer and everyone who sold them previously tells me they stopped stocking them and stock "Precision" brand now.  Anyone know where to buy Spicer or if they even make U-Joints anymore? All I am looking for is a sturdy replacement besides the $3.00 Autozone ones on the front axle  :'(
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: U-Joint Question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 12:38:04 am »
Yeah, I ran into the same problem last winter. I used the ones I had and couldn't find any to replace my trail inventory.
Good Luck...
I liked those Spicer 1310 joints, inexpensive, dependable to a point, yet offer a "cheap" braking point versus the drive shaft.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

jeepersfrom66

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:55:05 am »
There are some new Spicer 1310 U joints on Ebay if anyone is interested.

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 01:10:28 pm »
Hey, lookey there I searched Spicer 1310 on Google and Quadratec came up. I dunno why I didn't think of that to begin with but they have DANA SPICER® 153X Series 1310 Drive Shaft U-Joints for 11 bucks. Is that the ones I want for the 4 on my driveshafts? Autozone is always asking if I have ABS, what color it is and other stupid information. Seems too easy  :-\
Rick Wilson Jr.
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 02:52:57 am »
Those are the ones...
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 12:51:55 pm »
Thanks guys, I have a few ordered from quadratec. Hopefully they will arrive by Wednesday so I can install them before the old ones get worse.
Rick Wilson Jr.

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Another U-Joint Question
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 12:41:25 pm »
I got the rear driveshaft all put together and almost had my front one done. I then realized my last U-Joint on the cv joint (I think it's called) was missing the grease fitting and I can't get the dang thing in there without taking the whole cv joint back apart. I was told their is no way I'm getting the U-Joints out without destryoing them. So I am kinda at a stand still with my front dirveshaft until I get that settled. And also from the way it looks I can't even put a greasable joint in that position because it will bind against everything, anyone got any ideas or hints?
Rick Wilson Jr.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 10:48:16 pm »
     There are two type of universal joints used in the Jeep Cherokee driveshafts; the standard "u- joint" and the more complex Constant- Velocity, or CV-joint. This CV-joint is NOT the same as an axle CV joint, which is an entirely different assembly and requires a flexible boot surrounding it to retain the grease.
     When a CV- joint starts to go bad, it makes noises described by some as an angry sparrow, or constant chirping.

Disassembly:
     Remove the driveshaft from the Jeep. This can be done without jacking the Jeep in most cases. Block the tires and leave the transmission in 'N' to allow you to rotate the driveshaft if needed. After it has been removed, collapse the driveshaft but watch for excess grease to run (or squirt) out the relief hole at the end of the shaft. Be ready...! Use a pair of needle-nose pliers to remove the snap-rings surrounding the u-joints.
     Press the u-joint over to one side, and use the Vise-Grips to remove the cap from the cross. Press the u-joint back to the other side and then it can be pulled out of the cap and centering assembly. Lift the centering assembly away from the pin it rests on. Clean the cup surrounding the centering pin, and ensure the pin is not worn. It might just need an emory cloth rubdown after removing the dirt and grease from the cup. Remove the inner u-joint and then the cage.

I think I got this worded in the right order...

Reassemble in reverse order

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:33:51 pm »
Thanks a bunch Rick. I got it out and back in with no problems. I installed a small bolt into the grease hole after greasing it just to make sure it wasn't going to bind against anything. Now, I can move onto the front axle u joints that are the ones that were actually bad. Those shouldn't be too hard to get out considering how many hubs I have stuck on it, they should come right off.
Rick Wilson Jr.

pgarrett

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 10:56:06 am »
Well lucky me.  Came here looking for advice on u-joints and found this thread.  Before I order anything though I'd like to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

It's a 2000 Cherokee that is stock except for a Terraflex 1.5" budget lift (daily driver).  I need to replace the u-joints on the front driveshaft.  Are these the ones I need?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_100.htm

The clips pictured look different from any other ujoint thats come up in a search so far.  Also, the description doesn't mention if these have a grease fitting.  Would that be preferable?

Thanks in advance....

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 02:53:13 pm »
Go here...
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/2880_220_271/products_id/2844?osCsid=734ef9968672a9ff50d5aa8b42651cea

Cheaper than Quadratec and comes with the zirk fitting. I believe Hoak's can still get them too. Hell, they probably have them in stock too.

pgarrett

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 03:22:26 pm »
Thanks for the info Rick.  I went ahead and ordered a set from Tellico.